Talk

Advanced search

Bring and buy sales - why don't they just set a match to the whole sorry trestle table?

(8 Posts)
snigger Tue 09-Jun-09 19:56:38

Fundraising stinks.

Bring and buy sales, during school hours, when you're not there to hiss "NOOOO" as they offer up their ten pences for the goodliest stash of crud I've ever set eyes upon - this is Not On, Not On At All.

I now own :

A jigsaw (Holly Hobby, fgs, that's from my era)

A ceramic swan with a pointless gap betwixt its wings, optimistically described by DD as a napkin holder.

A pair of armbands hmm

A ceramic jug with an indeterminate greyish tidemark inside.

One phallic candlestick (DD's best friend bought the other one, it's a best friends forever thing, apparently. I'm grateful though, one's bad enough)

I sent a stamper/stationery kit from Monsoon (£5 in the sale in January) and a DS game. Which were bought by a teacher hmm

Racket.

snigger Tue 09-Jun-09 20:18:53

Are DD1 & 2 attending the last school in the universe to host bring & buy sales?

I'm stunned grin

I contemplated taking a picture of their haul and posting it, it was magnificent in its awfulness.

webwiz Wed 10-Jun-09 10:32:00

My DD once bought a hideous painting of some apples at one of these things and then said "I bought it as a present for you mummy" so I had to put it on display for a while before I could put it at the back of a cupboard. I still haven't confessed that I hated it and she's nearly 18!

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 10-Jun-09 10:38:31

I know. Last year DD2 bought a hideous leather wallet dating from the Seventies and she now uses it for her pocket money.
I think my worst one was a really manky rag doll DD1 bought once. It was so filthy the I put it straight in the washing machine when we got home. I was downstairs on my own, the children were in bed and I could hear someone singing Ring a ring a roses in a menacingly freaky way - for a few minutes I thought I had stepped into a horror movie. I finally realised it was coming from the washing machine...

Katisha Wed 10-Jun-09 10:41:41

I have experienced that thing of sending in something decent to find it had been earmarked by the people in charge of the sale...

Itsjustafleshwound Wed 10-Jun-09 10:45:55

But, but - how else can I get rid of all the crap 'antiques' given to me by my MIL ...

snigger Wed 10-Jun-09 16:00:40

ROFL at the demon-possessed tat.

purepurple Sun 21-Jun-09 15:58:43

I have a theory that each school has it's own quota of junk. It is bought by the children, then sent back to the school for the next sale/fete/fayre.
Where it is bought by a child, then sent back by the parent to the next sale/fete/fayre. To be bought by the next child etc etc.

Ever heard the phrase "what goes around comes around?" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now