Talk

Advanced search

Help! When do you make choices for primary schools.......

(9 Posts)
sammysam Tue 09-Jun-09 09:09:12

I thought I had ages but a friend just told me that we need to have the forms in by september hmm

DD isn't even 3 yet!!!!

She'll be 3 at the end of July so I suppose that does mean that she'll start school in September next year shock

What do I do? Where do I get a from?! I though it would just be sent to you.....am I wrong?

I don't even know how the system works!!! Is there no such thing as a catchment any more? I'm sorry-i'm so clueless!!

LIZS Tue 09-Jun-09 09:21:33

Check your LEA website - it should have the timescales for the process on, the admissions criteria and priorities by which places are allocated (typically Looked After Children, Siblings, SEN, distance from school etc) and maybe an online or printable form. Or try your local library. Some areas send them out , others don't but they may not be available until September anyway for 2010/11 admissions.

Dysgu Tue 09-Jun-09 09:24:11

It depends on where you live as the system changes depending on your LEA.

Here the forms have to be in by the end of November for places the following September.

Some LEAs still have catchment areas, others don't but have a points system with priority areas.

Pre-schools often hand out forms.

Contact the education department of your county council who will be able to tell you more.

sammysam Tue 09-Jun-09 15:00:58

Thank you-I'll have a look on the website....

Smithagain Wed 10-Jun-09 17:05:48

In Surrey, you would have to have forms in at the beginning of October. And they don't send them directly to you, some nurseries seem to get a supply, but not all.

sammysam Thu 11-Jun-09 09:10:53

I can't really see from the website....we're in Dorset-does anyone know what happens here?

tryingtobemarypoppins Thu 11-Jun-09 09:21:30

You should be sent a pack but do phone LEA to make sure your were missed.
HERE YOU

www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=4190

tryingtobemarypoppins Thu 11-Jun-09 09:22:33

ALSO

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/media/pdf/7/f/Parents'Guide_-2009-2010.pdf

giveloveachance Thu 11-Jun-09 09:39:49

I went into my closest school and asked them directly, they were very helpful. Also asked the head at another (often oversubscribed) how likely it was to get in. Always nice to hear direct information, and to see the school in question - you lo will be there for a very long time so its nice to make sure you are putting down a choice they would be happy with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now