Talk

Advanced search

help help help please help a soon to be inspected Yr6 teacher!!

(13 Posts)
Caz10 Sat 06-Jun-09 23:38:27

I'm trying to think of an inspector-visit worthy way of getting Yr6 to feed back from their induction visits to high school. They'll have been up at the high school for 3 days prior to our Ofsted visit and will be high as kites and wanting to talk about it. It seems unfair to ignore it, I'd like to incorporate it into some sort of language/PSD lesson, without resorting to the usual boring "write an account of it"!

Anyone more creative than me out there?!

scoggins Sat 06-Jun-09 23:41:45

ROle play - hot seating?
Could you make it into some kind of Jerry Springer show (obviously without the swearing etc....)where someone says a fear or worry about starting high school and then the audience suggest ways of coping with that giving examples of how the school they visited would deal with such a problem?

Caz10 Sun 07-Jun-09 21:15:05

Oh thanks scoggins! You up working as late as me then?!
Sadly I have to try to fit it in with language time so need some writing...

angrypixie Sun 07-Jun-09 21:30:21

They could;

design/write a 'getting the most from your induction days' leaflet for the year 5s.

Plan a 2 minute radio advertisement for their new school based upon what they learned.

Write a blog entry regarding their visit.

?????

Caz10 Sun 07-Jun-09 21:40:58

ooooh like the leaflet idea...

actually like them all.....

I am so not creative enough to be a teacher....sigh....

angrypixie Sun 07-Jun-09 23:13:02

If you like them all, give them a choice. Have resources out to act as prompts for the 3 different activities and get them to choose the project that most appeals.

angrypixie Sun 07-Jun-09 23:14:42

Actually I am liking the leaflet too as it hits on lots of levels, writing for purpose
Having an audience for writing projects

Start collecting leaflets now to immerse them in the writing style.

robinpud Sun 07-Jun-09 23:17:37

Can you focus on the faact that the visit reassured them that high school is going to be ok, but aim it at the curent year 5s.. so interviewing each other what was your worst fear what was your best bit and tell them you will be showing the film clip to the next batch of kids to go up. Writing focus could be the script for this interview.

If you want more of a writing focus how about an advert for high school and in particular this school

podcasting?

you need to show some value added really as well as giving them the forum to feedback so think about channeling the creativity into something that will show some clear educational value.

scoggins Sun 07-Jun-09 23:36:53

Good luck - I lurve Ofsted!!!!!

itchyandscratchy Sun 07-Jun-09 23:42:05

Why not give them a bit of a choice, so you can tick all the SEN/G&T/different learning styles boxes. So for most of them they can do a leaflet, less-able might do a poster and more able could script a radio feature including an interview perhaps.

If you spent prep lessons looking at writing for the different purposes and audiences (purpose would be writing to inform and maybe entertain; audience could be next year's Year 6) and had some planning sheets prepared for them to use as evidence, the Ofsted lesson could be them preparing them for presentation.
Would tick the PLTS boxes as well.

Caz10 Mon 08-Jun-09 22:15:43

oh goodness you are all so good, and I am feeling oh so crap!

Thank you for your suggestions! I think at the time they're probably coming in this will be the prep lesson, but even if we don't get much done it'll show we're AIMING towards the big piece of writing...

feel sick.....

scoggins are you mad btw?!! grin

othersideofthefence Tue 09-Jun-09 20:52:58

Havw you got any video cameras (most ordinary digital cameras will record if your memory stick is big enough)

If so could they work in groups to prepare a short presentation.

You wouldn't have to do the actual filming in that lesson - they could write a script and practise

Caz10 Wed 17-Jun-09 21:56:34

Thanks so much to you all, esp angrypixie as I nicked your leaflet idea and it went down v well with the inspectors!! REALLY greatful!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now