Talk

Advanced search

Kip McGrath Education centres, anyone use them?

(10 Posts)
Linnet Sat 06-Jun-09 21:23:19

My dd1 is really really struggling with maths. I'm now at the stage where I think she needs to get some tutoring, in fact to be honest I think she should have been getting some long before now. There is a Kip Mcgrath centre close by and I was wondering, before contacting them, if anyone has any experience of them and if they would recommend them?

Also does anyone know how much they charge as their website doesn't seem to say, or at least I can't find it on there.

Thanks

cornsilk Sat 06-Jun-09 21:25:17

I used them for Literacy for my ds - I thought they were good. Was about £28 for an hour and a half but the tutor was shared between 4 children.

MaryBS Sat 06-Jun-09 21:31:06

£28 EACH CHILD???? Or between the 4?

cornsilk Sat 06-Jun-09 21:33:24

Each child!

MaryBS Sat 06-Jun-09 21:35:22

Ouch! Maybe I should do that for a job... I have a degree in maths, and used to informally tutor younger students when I was in the 6th form...

cornsilk Sat 06-Jun-09 21:36:18

There's a big gap in the market for dyscalculia tutoring.

magentadreamer Sat 06-Jun-09 22:02:36

I'd not hesitate in recommending my local Kip McGrath to anyone, DD's confidence in Maths is amazing now thanks to the sessions she had. Think I paid £23 a session. I actually thought it would be better for DD to go to a centre with others as one to one might have been a bit too intense for her.

Linnet Sat 06-Jun-09 22:19:52

Thank you all, that is really encouraging. I'm going to go and apply for the free consultation and hopefully we'll hear from them soon.

I'm quite annoyed as my dd has always struggled with maths, all the way through school and the teachers always said oh she'll catch up it's fine, it will come etc don't worry. and now her class has sat a test for the level she's supposed to be at and she didn't pass and she was the only one in the class not to pass. I feel so awful and so bad for her, if they had told me that she really wasn't coping I would have organised this a lot sooner.

Does anyone know if they tutor through the summer holidays or do they only do term time? It's just the summer holidays are coming up soon and I'd really like her to be going back for the new term with a fighting chance of being a bit more on par with her peers.

colie Sat 06-Jun-09 22:50:17

linnet, not sure if each centre is different but my local one don't just carry on business as usual over the summer.

I had arranged for my dd to go in for an initial assessment this morning after speaking to kip macgrath, who advised they don't run the usual sessions over summer due to kids being on holidays etc. So I emailed back to say I was really looking for a way to try and bring her on over the summer. Like you I want her going back to school in the summer a bit more in line with her peers in maths. So, I cancelled the initial assessment and kip mcgrath just said sorry but they could not offer anything really over the summer.

I have now decided to try and get a private tutor (although we have had one who is quite rubbish and cancels alot at the last minute on us). We are going to shop round for another private tutor and see where we go from there.

Good luck with getting something organised. You could just email your local mcgrath centre to find out what they do and what they could offer. Your local one might run over the summer.

Good luck and hope you get something organised that can help your dd.

magentadreamer Sat 06-Jun-09 23:47:11

The centre my DD went to does open during the summer holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now