Talk

Advanced search

What Is The Purpose of Education?

(20 Posts)
zanzibarmum Fri 05-Jun-09 18:35:53

What is the purpose of education at secondary level?

sarah293 Fri 05-Jun-09 18:36:43

Message withdrawn

HecatesTwopenceworth Fri 05-Jun-09 18:47:49

More complex maths, better english, basic understanding of science...

flamingobingo Fri 05-Jun-09 18:49:49

What exactly do you mean? Do you mean what is the purpose of school at secondary level, or education, or learning?

If it's learning, then clearly it's about getting a more detailed understanding of the 'basics' - English, Maths, Science - and getting more in depth in any other subjects you're interested in.

zanzibarmum Fri 05-Jun-09 21:09:26

I mean education which for most of the children takes part in school

cory Fri 05-Jun-09 21:28:17

I would say it is:

to give children the skills they will need to cope with everyday life and higher education/vocational training

to stimulate their interest in the world around them through science, foreign languages, literature etc

to help them develop an idea of their own place in the world through subjects such as RE, history, geography etc

to let them enjoy using their brains in a social setting

to keep them out from under my feet grin

Hulababy Fri 05-Jun-09 21:41:30

Ideally - to prepare children for adult life

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Sat 06-Jun-09 06:03:50

?Education is the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty.?

moffat Sat 06-Jun-09 07:43:27

is this for an essay?

georgimama Sat 06-Jun-09 08:11:40

To keep children occupied!

To teach them basic technical skills - "three Rs" - and social skills

To prepare them (hopefully) to be useful and productive members of society

missmapp Sat 06-Jun-09 08:29:51

To give you choices in adult life

thecaty Sat 06-Jun-09 10:12:47

Best title for a blog and a fundamental question that we all should think about.
I go along with cory.
But would add to two comments:
'^to let them enjoy using their brains in a social setting^' I would add their whole bodies not just their brains.

'^to keep them out from under my feet^'
Mine have not reach that age yet 8 and 10 but certainly I enjoy every minute with them... well almost anyway!

BonsoirAnna Sat 06-Jun-09 10:15:13

Here in France the purpose of education seems to be to brainwash the population into mass obedience...

BonsoirAnna Sat 06-Jun-09 10:15:14

Here in France the purpose of education seems to be to brainwash the population into mass obedience...

Litchick Sat 06-Jun-09 11:43:30

What is education for? Well it is not for anything. It is the act itself of extending the intellect, the imagination and the physical self.
Most of us do this from the second we are born and many of us choose to continue until the day we die. My DCs are currently educating their GM in how to play chess. grin.

What school is for is a very different question. A good school will provide a safe place and the resources for each individual to continue their education between 4 and 18. It will provide mentors and resources. It will support a child's main education which takes place all day every day.

A bad school will simply keep children busy for a few hours. It may even stifle their main source of education.

Ripeberry Sat 06-Jun-09 12:01:18

So they don't have to go and work before they are 16yrs old grin.
I agree about France, they give 5yr olds homework every night and even at the weekend!
My friend is moving back to the UK this summer and her child will love the relaxed regime in the UK.

campion Sat 06-Jun-09 12:16:52

To be able to recognise when the other person is talking tosh (intellectual independence).

There is, and has been, plenty of brainwashing in education in the UK, BonsoirAnna. We just stuff them up with information, weigh them and give them a number or letter to pacify everyone.

Then we say children have never been more successful hmm

flyingmum Sat 06-Jun-09 18:20:14

To learn self discipline.

cory Sat 06-Jun-09 20:49:07

thecaty, I'm writing a book. Can't have dcs under my feet every minute of the day. Not to mention that they have intimated that, much as they love me, they don't actually want to have me under the feet every minute of the day. wink

cory Sat 06-Jun-09 20:49:35

but I agree about the bodies- more could and should be done about that at school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now