Talk

Advanced search

i know nothing about colleges or education but i want to change my life!

(9 Posts)
cheeryface Thu 04-Jun-09 09:34:39

i am 33 , i have spent the last 13 years being a mum and a housewife , i have lost all confidence and i am taking cipralex for anxiety.
my dp makes me feels inferior because im not working but i dont have any skills and minimum wage would work out not much better than my tax credits.
so, i figured i should learn to do something. i dont have experience but i quite fancy working with animals. there is an animal care course but its in another town.
so heres what concerns me :
finding my way around ( i get lost in my own town)
that it would be full of young people and id look out of place
that i dont have experience working with animals
can anyone offer me any advice? i have planned similar things before and never taken the plunge

AMumInScotland Thu 04-Jun-09 10:01:35

ok 1 - look on Google maps and print off a map of where the college is, mark your bus-stop on it, or the train station or whatever. Then you'll be able to see where you are and where you're going.

2. Some college courses have lots of young people, some more of a mix. You're not exactly ancient at 33! Would it matter terribly to you to be in with "youngsters"? They may not have much in common with you, but if you all have an interest in common you should be able to get on ok.

3. It depends on the course - some will expect you to already have experience, others will give you experience as you go along.

Go along to the college and chat to one of their advisors - they'll be able to give you advice about their courses and what they think would be a good way for you to proceed.

ChampagneDahling Thu 04-Jun-09 10:44:31

Good on you for being smart and brave enough to realise that you want to change things. I really think you should grasp the bull by the horns and go for it. Excellent advice from AMuminScotland.

Buy a local A-Z map to find your way around and you can always ask people as you go.

Go and talk to college and ask their advice - that's what they are there for and there may be other courses that would also be suitable for you that you hadn't thought of before.

33 is VERY young - so please just go for it and start enjoying your life smile

forehead Thu 04-Jun-09 10:50:34

You are only 33, you are only a baby. There are so many things that you can do. Never ever give up. I agree with the other posters contact your local college,

JeffVadar Thu 04-Jun-09 11:14:54

I did a course on Rural Environmental Management a couple of years ago and there was only one girl on the course who had come straight from school - all the others were late 20s and early 30s! So don't assume that you will be out of place.

I agree that the best thing would be to see if you can visit the college and talk to the tutors; perhaps you could ask a friend to go with you and make a day of it. You can then get your bearings and you will be really well prepared for the start of the course. They may suggest that you do a short access course first, if they think that it is necessary.

I really wish you luck with this and hope that you take a deep breath and go for it. You will soon be reminded of how capable you are!

cheeryface Thu 04-Jun-09 13:18:57

thankyou so much for the encouraging replies. i have emailed the college and they repiled very quickly saying that i should print off and send the online application form and i will then be invited for an interview.

what is this interview do you think? is it just to check i will be able to manage the course?

i will get myself a map, good idea

Madmentalbint Thu 04-Jun-09 13:31:27

It will probably be quite informal - just a chat to make sure the course is suitable for your needs, and a chance for you to ask questions etc.

I thnk you should be proud of yourself for making these steps towards a fresh start. The first steps are the hardest but as you go along you'll slowly gain more confidence in yourself.

Good luck

AMumInScotland Thu 04-Jun-09 13:46:57

Well done - the interview will probably to find out a bit about you, your background, what you're hoping to get out of the course etc, and give you a chance to ask them anything you'd like to know. That way, they can make sure that the course you've put down will be the best one for you.

ChampagneDahling Thu 04-Jun-09 18:57:22

Yes - it will be very informal - they deal with all sorts of people of all ages so it won't be scary. Just like a chat really so don't get worried about it, go with the flow, and you are certainly flowing in the right direction - good for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now