Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Inviting class round for birthday party

(8 Posts)
Revhoney Wed 03-Jun-09 15:12:12

My son started reception at a new school in January. It is his birthday soon & we would love to invite some of his school friends round for a party (am sure he would love this). The problem is that we live in a very multi-cultural inner city area & there are no other kids from a similar background in his class. I'm quite shy & find it hard to make links with other parents who are so different to me. There is often a language barrier & many don't seem to be familiar with the culture of playdates & birthday parties. Am scared of organising a party that no one comes to! The school is great apart from this area of creating friendships that can be continued outside school. Son is pretty keen to have a party this year...what to do?? Any advice welcome.

hullygully Wed 03-Jun-09 15:14:06

Just have one and invite everyone and have a good time with whoever turns up. Don't need language for musical bumps and pass the parcel.

ChampagneDahling Wed 03-Jun-09 17:15:24

Yes - go for it. You'd have to invite everyone though, at this stage you have no idea who his good friends are going to be, still forming friendship groups.

Cheaper at home than booking hall and not many turning up.

Enjoy !

Turbomouth Wed 03-Jun-09 17:17:19

Go for it!

dilemma456 Wed 03-Jun-09 21:09:57

Message withdrawn

smee Thu 04-Jun-09 11:52:38

Why not go for a picnic in a park? Makes it more communal, and the kids love it. If you put a notice up on a school noticeboard others could sign up - get one of the Teachers or Teaching Assistants to help you put it into whatever the common languages in the class are, so all parents can read it. You could say it's an end of year/ reception/ your DS's birthday picnic and use it as a way of getting to know everyone. I'd bet lots would come.

cuppycakesong Thu 04-Jun-09 17:18:30

The foreign mums will appreciate your gesture to include everyone. Just do it. Kindness is understood by all.

ChampagneDahling Thu 04-Jun-09 18:55:11

Picnic is great idea - near playground and loos !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now