Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Question for RE teachers/teachers PLEASE...

(6 Posts)
discoball Tue 02-Jun-09 16:47:30

Hi, could any teachers please help? My DD has to learn 3 verses from the New Testament. Is a verse classed as a whole passage or just a quote, i.e.Matthew 5:11 (i.e. usually just a line or two)? Sorry, can't get DD to find out as she is off school ill at the moment (back tomorrow) and the RE teacher was out today. Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

Milliways Tue 02-Jun-09 16:59:57

Not a teacher - but a Verse is usually just one sentance.

In your eaxample Matt 5:11 - 11 is the verse, so Matt 5:1-3 would be 3 verses.

Shortest verse = "Jesus wept"! grin

discoball Tue 02-Jun-09 17:07:03

Thank you very much Milliways - that clarifies it perfectly for me! Thanks for the shortest verse prompt!!!! I'm sure my DS will be VERY grateful!! I think it's really hard once they're at secondary school - I am a complete "duffer" at maths so hubby has to help with maths, whereas I am good at English and Science, so can help there, if needed, although (quite rightly) we just let DS get on with it and try and encourage her to only ask if she needs help. I openly admitted to her math's teacher the other night that I was in set 4 for maths and 1 for English at school and that DD had now overtaken me in maths!!! Still, as long as you're a supportive parent, I suppose that's the key thing. Sorry to rant on, thanks once again for your clear advice. grin

Milliways Tue 02-Jun-09 17:08:46

Can she choose any verses?

Here are 3 verses from Luke chapter 2 (birth of Jesus)

1In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. 2(This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 3And everyone went to his own town to register.

Or 4 famous verses from 1 Corinthians 13:

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Milliways Tue 02-Jun-09 17:11:55

You are welcome!

If she knows a quote that she wants to us, an online bible like this one is usefull - that link has shortest verse at v.35.

I think RE homework can be worse than science!

discoball Tue 02-Jun-09 17:18:21

Hi, Milliways, that's so kind of you to go to all that trouble - thank you very much! Thanks for the link - am off to make dinner now but will get DD to check it out afterwards. Yes, know what you mean about RE being worse than science sometimes!! Bye for now, grin smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now