I have a bit of a dilemma and would appreciate your advice.
I have had an appointment booked for my dd aged 13 with the orthodontist for several weeks now. Today I checked my diary to see what we've got coming up next week and realised that she has her QCA tests starting on Monday morning during the 1st and 2nd lessons.
The dental appt is at 9am Monday morning! Only for an assessment for a brace so is not urgent and I don't mind re-arranging but it could be some weeks or even a couple of months waiting for a new appt. However the dentists does not open until (I think) 8.30am on Monday morning so that would be my first chance to phone to ask for a new appointment. I know I will get charged a late cancellation fee if that's what I decide to do.
The other option would be to phone the school as early as possible, explain the situation to them and hope they allow dd to take the test at another time and keep the dental appt.
Not sure what to do - which is the lesser of the two evils as it were? Any ideas or advice? I would really appreciate it. Thanks
JanH - in theory i guess yes she could. But as the dentist appt is 9am and the first test starts at 9am too, I have to make my mind up which to make the priority. What if she couldn't re-sit it another time? Would it REALLY matter that much, I wonder?
What time does school open for phone calls? What time does DD normally have to leave the house to gt to school? Any way you could ring school first to explain the situation and beg for her to take them another time (if they are essential for Sept?)
She walks and no rmally leaves at 8.20 in time for start of school at 8.50but I would be able to drive her when I take my other ds. That way she could stay at home until last minute whilst I try to get hold of school. I think they open for calls about 8.35 onwards which leaves it very tight time-wise. Have to have 4.5mth old and 2 year old ready too.
No dentist is too far for her to walk to but only 10 mins in car. Could drop DS off at 9.45 then drive to dentist. Leaves it blooming tight though between getting hold of school office at 8.35 and loading everyone into the car to get ds to school for 8.45! Fingers crossed I can get a parking space/ticket, unload babies from car and get into the dentists looking as though getting there has been a stroll in the park!
You could get them all into the car before 8.35 (because they will all have to be in it whatever school says) and then ring school on your mobile? Or if you don't have one, leave DD in charge in the car while you ring from inside the house.
JanH - yes taht would be good idea. Think I was probably coming to that conclusion....slowly! Think overall her teeth getting done asap are more important than a test which is only for setting. If it was actual SATS I would cancel the dentist and take the consequnces.
Thanks for taking the time to help me muddle through it! Will let you know how it turns out.
I've just spoken to the dentist's who opened at 8am, thankfully, and have re-arranged dd's appt for 2 weeks' time and I won't get charged for late cancellation! She said they'd had lots of parents phoning up during the last few weeks as they hadn't realised the clash with SATS and the dentist's had decided to waive any cancellation fee if it was due to this reason.
Phew! Problem solved and my stress levels have gone down at last.