Does anyone have views on the Hall School, North London? Comments from current

(18 Posts)
watchthisspace Tue 26-May-09 09:48:42

parents would be helpful as we are trying to decide if this is a school for our DS. Many thanks

watchthisspace Mon 01-Jun-09 09:08:08

bump

ReneRusso Thu 04-Jun-09 21:21:53

i don't have children there, but i know a few people who do and they all rave about it. I get the impression its quite high achieving and pushy, but also with quite a caring/nurturing atmosphere as well. I can quote you the GSG entry if you're interested, as I have an online subscription.

watchthisspace Fri 05-Jun-09 10:55:53

Thanks Rene. I had heard similar accounts regarding the pushiness but didn't know if they also accomodate quieter more sensitive boys.

DeBeauvoir Tue 07-Feb-12 03:56:58

Some parents love it. Very traditional, great academics, big feeder for Westminster. But be prepared - you will be buying into the Hampstead scene; 4x4s, investment banker parents, mothers with face-lifts, etc.

EverybodysSnowyEyed Tue 21-Feb-12 22:20:16

My son went for the assessment and didn't get in. The assessment was the most rigourous - they scored everything. The rejection letter was quite unnecessary in its content.

He is in a school that suits him much better so for the best.

What I have heard;
They rank the boys from a young age
Most parents are very pushy behind the scenes.

They do have good facilities and good results.

Best way is to go to the assessment and see how you feel about it. If he doesn't get in, don't despair - there are plenty of schools in the area!!

Good luck!

Turniphead1 Wed 22-Feb-12 12:42:45

Everybody - do you mind my asking what kind of things were in the rejection letter? I assume we are talking about 3 year olds here?

EverybodysSnowyEyed Wed 22-Feb-12 12:48:34

Yes

I can't remember the exact wording but it basically implied his life chances had been weakened by not going to their school and having to go to another school.

They didn't think he would handle the pressure - in hindsight they were right. But then I don't want my 4 year old being put under pressure so he wasn't the right boy for the school and we definitely weren't the right parents.

I think you just have to trust your judgement with these schools and not take a rejection to heart.

Turniphead1 Wed 22-Feb-12 13:12:36

How funny! (except not). In fairness, I think these schools do become adept at picking children that are right for them and so its in everybody's interests to make sure they don't end up at the wrong one. But I am sure your DS will overcome such a disadvantage as not having been educated there wink

EverybodysSnowyEyed Wed 22-Feb-12 13:25:29

I hope so!

he is now at a lovely non-pretentious school and is really happy so it all worked out well!

sobeda Wed 22-Feb-12 18:18:17

Everybodys - We live in the same area and are thinking about schools for our DS who is most likely not Hall material. Any hints about which is your lovely non-pretentious school?

EverybodysSnowyEyed Wed 22-Feb-12 21:56:06

I pm'd you

Gidleigh Thu 23-Feb-12 11:03:03

The Hall is a academic school and they do push the boys to reach their potential. I would agree that the pressure applied by some parents are far more than the school, but I suspect this is the case which ever school you choose. However, the Hall does address the need of differently advancing boys, as at this age they really do all develop at a different pace, hence giving different work to different boys of ability. I found this refreshing as the more able boys are challenged and the struggling boys are given work that is manageable and does not destroy their confidence so that they can continue to build on this basis. I don't agree that its a pretentious at all. There are many lovely parents as well as some who are not, but again you would get this in any environment. I think like all other schools around the area, most parents want the best for their kids.

vixsatis Thu 23-Feb-12 17:29:00

My son was at the hall for years one to three, leaving about 2 and a half years ago. It is an excellent school but it wasn't right for him and he was miserable.

Year one was fine. Year two, when they started cursive handwriting was a disaster: he and we were told that he was lazy, becoming naughty, wouldn't engage etc etc. He felt himself right at the bottom of the pecking order and was depressed. He would say things like "I'm stupid and I just want to be dead".

His teacher the next year helped; but it was not until we insisted on reference to an ed psych that he was found to be dyspraxic and to have specific learning difficulties. He has an IQ of over 135.

The focus is on the top 25% of boys who are fabulously able. One always gets the feeling that the rest make up the numbers rather.

Lovely boys. Generally very nice parents, although quite pushy-lotsof Kumon maths, early morning violin lessons etc.. You need to be available to do quite a lot of academic support.

If your son is an easy high flier, then the Hall will be perfect for him and by the time he leaves he'll be practically ready for A levels. If he's not, then think very carefully. My son is now at a school which is still pretty academic but has a much more rounded approach; but he's boarding, not in London

BahrainB Sat 17-Mar-12 18:10:36

I worked there for many years and have to say I'd be back at there at shot and have my sons down to go . Perhaps it's because I know the expectations but also because I know the opportunities and encouragement The Hall provides.
I would question that the very well versed headmaster or the head of juniors would pen a rejection letter that had offensive content .

haveitallmum Tue 02-Jun-15 10:31:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Natpil Wed 16-Mar-16 16:00:12

Hello everyone! I'm thinking to send my son to the Kew College ( primery school) please, does anybody have expirience or reviews on it? Thanks a lot in advance

mary21 Wed 16-Mar-16 16:57:47

Might be worth starting a new thread with Kew College in the title

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now