Talk

Advanced search

What is a Favella? (Homework help)

(10 Posts)
knowitall Thu 05-May-05 18:35:04

DD needs to find out what a favella is (something to do with Brazil?) Please help.

Marina Thu 05-May-05 18:36:40

Isn't it a slum? Shanty-town? I think it's favela with one L if you want to google it...

geogteach Thu 05-May-05 18:44:24

Thats right, how old is your DD? You could try the BBC website, they did a series of school programmes called Brazil 2000 which covered this. Otherwise the geography section on 'Staffordshire learning net' is fab and would probably have a link to something useful

knowitall Thu 05-May-05 18:46:11

ooh thanks

Davros Sat 07-May-05 18:04:16

Shanty town in Brazil.

Pruni Sat 07-May-05 19:08:57

Message withdrawn

Cam Tue 10-May-05 14:55:42

They have grown up around Rio on the hills - people who come to the town from the country and can't afford proper housing live there.

Lua Tue 10-May-05 15:03:32

Sorry Pruni, I am from Rio, so thought for the record I would say... they are illegal settlements. Some of them haver grown to the size of cities and star to organize themselves. At the time of the elctions there is a lot of discussions about how much to legalize their "self-organized" instituttions, but surely not their own police! There are unfortunately inumerous fights between the "real" police and drug lords (whom usually buy favors from locals by patronizing favelas)which lead to a lot of bloodshed.

OldieMum Tue 10-May-05 15:13:42

I remember studying Latin American shanty towns 20 years ago, when a graduate student. One book which made a big impression was 'The Myth of Marginality', by Janice Perlman. She argued that favelas were far more organised and integrated into Brazilian society than many at that time realised. I did a google search on her and came up with a much more recent conference paper of hers which you might find useful. here

Cam Tue 10-May-05 15:38:06

I've seen them (from a distance) in Rio, but they're not places where tourists would go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now