Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Key Stage 1 Maths

(10 Posts)
LIZS Tue 03-May-05 16:55:21

As it is likely ds(7) will move to a UK school this summer I am hoping to go through the some of the basics of KS1 maths with him to cover any gaps between one system and another, and to familiarise him with UK terminology.

We have some Letts and Hodder home learning workbooks but I was wondering whether schools tend to subscribe to one particular textbook/scheme, and if so which, or use adhoc copying of worksheets from a variety of sources.

Is it worth me ordering a set of pupil workbooks from a particular school scheme from Amazon or are the home learning type books and the DFEE Standards Site curriculum adequate guidance in themselves ?

tia

grumpyfrumpy Tue 03-May-05 18:11:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

beachyhead Tue 03-May-05 18:42:54

No particular scheme with us either, but if you know the school, I would call them and they can fax you the last few weeks worksheets so you get the level of the class right.....

SoupDragon Tue 03-May-05 18:46:04

No scheme at DSs school either. They do worksheets tied into their current "learning context" (or theme to you and me!)

juniperdewdrop Tue 03-May-05 18:47:37

Don't know if it's any help but DS1 (7) has been using thes sites as recommended by his teacher bbc numbertime little animals activity centre and also puzzlemaths

juniperdewdrop Tue 03-May-05 18:49:12

strange those links don't work? I can write them out again without the link though if you're interested?

kaytee Tue 03-May-05 18:53:39

Schofield & Sims are also well known and widely used - literacy as well as maths. In maths there is a wide range of number books (for basic number skills), key maths books, problem solving and times tables books. Each book is quite cheap so you could get a selection - do take advice from the new school if already lined up - without breaking the bank.

mrspink27 Tue 03-May-05 19:04:23

you could also try looking at the schemes of work which form the numeracy strategy on the standards site, this will show you all the previous years work and the work to come, will be quite technical but at KS1 you should get the idea!trythis
and then click on the year group your ds will go into
alsoworth a look
and maybetry this one to

heres hoping those links work...!

LIZS Tue 03-May-05 19:32:37

Thanks for the replies so far. ds especially liked the Numbertime link which is now on his favourites. Think we will ask school too, but don't want to try to do too much heavyweight stuff because it will just put him off.

LIZS Wed 04-May-05 15:08:46

Thanks Kaytee, Schofield and Sims look really good - have bookmarked their site and am now going to go through The DES Maths Year 2 Unit Plans to identify topics we need to cover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now