ks Tue 26-Apr-05 16:12:39

Message withdrawn

Tinker Tue 26-Apr-05 16:13:38

Why should it be 2 years ahead?

<<paranoid>>

Tinker Tue 26-Apr-05 16:14:28

Actually, don't know my daughter's forgot to ask at last parents' evening

colditz Tue 26-Apr-05 16:15:38

your childs reading age should be the same as their chronological age, why would they make it 2 years ahead? That would be silly.

Freckle Tue 26-Apr-05 16:15:41

As far as I understand it, a child's reading age should be its actual age, otherwise how else would you measure it? If a child's age is 2 years ahead of its actual age, then that child is advanced in its reading.

ks Tue 26-Apr-05 16:36:52

Message withdrawn

Sponge Tue 26-Apr-05 16:41:06

I guess given that we still have qute a lot of illiteracy in this country that it might be average for a child who was doing reasonably well at school (attending every day, parental involvement, reading at home) to be 2 years ahead of the national average?

colditz Tue 26-Apr-05 16:42:39

No, it's not average to be advanced, it's average to be average, otherwise "they" would change the standards. If most 6 year olds had an average reading age of 8, the posts would be shifted to say that it was a reading age of 6. If you see what I mean.

do you mean across the whole country though, or just on MN?

colditz Tue 26-Apr-05 16:43:43

My boy is only 2 though, so (I have no basis in experiance!

ks Tue 26-Apr-05 16:50:29

Message withdrawn

Sponge Tue 26-Apr-05 16:51:01

Exactly Colditz. So if it's national across the country, including areas with major truancy problems, lots of english as a second language etc, then logically a normally progressing english child who reads at home and so on might be expected to be above the national average.
I don't know the facts as my oldest is only just starting to read but averages are generally pretty unhelpful.

QueenEagle Tue 26-Apr-05 16:52:17

Reading is down to the individual child and to compare from one child to the next is virtually the same IMO as comparing when they started to walk, talk etc. I am led to understand that reading age is usually a year or two behind their level of comprehension - perhaps any teachers out there can clarify this?

Factors including intelligence, parental involvement, enthusiasm of the child should be taken into account.

I have posted previously on MN about my DD who was reading fluently by the age of 4 and was assessed at nursery school and given a reading age of 8 and put forward by her teachers as an able and gifted child, whatever that means. She is now 13 and her last parents eve her English teacher assessed her as having an adult reading age. English is something she has always been strong at, reading in particular was a strength of hers from a very early age.

My older 2 ds's by contrast showed no interest in reading until they were about 6 and were more or less fluent by the time they were 7.

Just to add here that obviously my dd gets her brains from my side of the family!!!

soapbox Tue 26-Apr-05 16:59:05

KS - I think you are looking at a fairly select sample of children - probably not representative of the country as a whole. Your DS's school will have smaller class sizes and greater parental involvement than many schools.

I would imagine that the average reading age is the same as the chronological age, it just wouldn't make sense otherwise. The average at your DS's school may well be 2 years ahead of chronological age but thats what the parents are probably paying lots of dosh for

Sponge Tue 26-Apr-05 16:59:22

Naturally QE, gifted child is clearly a product of genius mother .

ks Tue 26-Apr-05 17:02:48

Message withdrawn

soapbox Tue 26-Apr-05 17:05:14

Why not start a thread asking what ORT level children are on at what age - or do you want us to post here??

The ORT publish an age rating on their website - can't remember where it is exactly but I think the ages referenced there will shock you!

soapbox Tue 26-Apr-05 17:09:54

here you are - link to ORT reading ages

ks Tue 26-Apr-05 17:15:43

Message withdrawn

soapbox Tue 26-Apr-05 17:24:34

KS - I'm sure that he'll be studying english lit at Oxbridge and you'll still be wondering how he managed it - give the boy a break

iota Tue 26-Apr-05 17:26:17

ks - lol at kids reading in libraries - perhaps they are the ones who like reading and are very advanced

iota Tue 26-Apr-05 17:27:03

my ds1 has a reading age of +2.5 yrs and has never been to a library

ks Tue 26-Apr-05 17:27:38

Message withdrawn

colditz Tue 26-Apr-05 17:29:19

Ar-ha ks, I had that book, my mum took it off me and threw it away.

ks Tue 26-Apr-05 17:30:32

Message withdrawn

cod Tue 26-Apr-05 17:31:05

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: