Talk

Advanced search

St Christina's school, St John's Wood

(20 Posts)
Tania10 Mon 30-Mar-09 21:42:06

I am thinking of sending our DD, who will be 4 in September to St Christina's school in St John's Wood. We do have other options - including the Cavendish School in Camden - where we have had good feedback from parents who have sent daughters through the school. We haven't managed to make contact with parents who have sent daughters to St Christina's however. Is there anyone who has direct experience of the school through sending a child there, or who knows anyone who has and what are your/their opinions of the school.
Many thanks
Tania.

frogs Tue 31-Mar-09 10:01:55

We nearly moved dd1 there a good few years ago now, under the previous head. It's quite a low-profile school, but I thought it was lovely, with a nicer atmosphere than Cavendish. I think they have broadened the intake slightly under the new head (more non-CAtholics) but still seem to be v. confident about their identity, whereas cavendish seem to be trying to be all things to all people. I doubt you'll find many people on here to talk about StC's, it seems to be a very well-kept secret!

The previous head (Sr Mary) was lovely, and hand-picked the current head who I have also met and seems lovely as well. If we had gone down that route I'd have picked it over cavendish any day. In the end we kept dd1 in her primary school, mainly cos I got pg with dd2 so finances were a bit tight.

hth

Tania10 Tue 31-Mar-09 23:36:51

Hello hth

Thank you very much for for your comments. I do like the environment at St Christina's, and the rooms and general atmosphere looked well structured and focused, and made me feel as if it would clear my own head to do some serious learning! I'm sure our daughter would be very happy at either school. It would be easier all around for us to get to St Christina's every day.

It was handy you mentioned that it's low profile, thank you as it explains why we hardly know anyone who has heard of it. My own education and work history has been full of new places noone had ever heard of, so I wondered whether it's important to send DD somewhere well known.

I also wondered if DD would gain a something extra at the Cavendish - all those school choirs and singing must make a person feel free in themselves. The children were so free and happy, talking to our little girl during our school tour, as they changed classrooms between lessons, and it was more than just one or two bunches of girls saying hello.

At St Christina's I suppose the children have a spiritual environment with the convent next door, and clear grounded boundaries, even if it seemed more formal than the Cavendish. And children did talk to us as we went around, and greet us in a very well mannered way.

Thank you again, it really helps,

Tania

beforesunrise Wed 01-Apr-09 19:39:43

hi there, lots of people from my church send their daughters there and are very happy with it. it is not a "trendy" school, which i think is a good thing....

Tania10 Wed 01-Apr-09 22:21:32

Thanks beforesunrise. I agree there's lots more to education than just trendiness.
Tania

ellsy Fri 29-May-09 20:41:50

Hello,

I am writing from California.I first met Sister Mary 16 years ago whist I was working in St Johns wood. When I found out she was the principle of Saint Christina's I new without a doubt that my children had to attend. She exudes all the qualities in a beautiful human being that any parent would hope and pray their own children would have. Sure enough, her personality had "rubbed" off on the school. I had a little boy and girl both attend the school until we ultimately traveled to live in the States.These were the best days of our lives.The children were happy,loved and educated, and they new it!They were very confident in their surroundings, and enjoyed the interaction with the teachers and their friends. The school bred a very special kind of child.The school seemed to play great importance on kindness and charity aswell as a great education.
Now my little girl and boy are tall teenagers, living in the Californian system, and have been doing so for the past 10 years. There is not a day that goes by that someone doesn't mention what kind and charming kids they are. I think a large part of this is down to their harmonic beginning in a school system.
I also have two other younger children. Although they are both wonderful kids, their older siblings, with their "St Christina's" influence definitely behave "head and shoulders"above them.One of my only regrets is that we were not in the UK to have all the children go there.

Ella Said.

sobanoodle Sat 30-May-09 14:33:40

Ellsy that's lovely. So refreshing and uplifting to read after so much of the usual angst about how academic/sporty/rough/snobbish/cliquey a given school may or may not be.

BigJim Wed 11-Nov-09 18:58:57

My daughter has just started there and is loving it. We have a number of friends whose kids are there too. No regrets so far... Seems very friendly and all. They could do with communicating with parents a bit more perhaps but otherwise no complaints. DD just got into South Hampstead but will probably keep her at St Christina's though.

bellissima Thu 12-Nov-09 10:05:51

College friend of mine sent her daughters there and liked it. Believe youngest might still be there.

TheInvisibleHand Thu 12-Nov-09 16:17:56

I went there for a year many, many years ago (early 80s). Was a bit of a misfit there fore a variety of reasons (not least, being Jewish...), but actually it was a rather sweet school. I don't know what other catholic schools are like, but depending on what you want I wouldn't underestimate the religous input. I seem to recall attending a baptism of a family when I was there and quite a few years later scored 100% in an RE exam based on knowledge I picked up in my year there. Ultimately I think my parents moved us when they realised my 4 year old sister could recite "Our Father.." off by heart and that wasn't really what they wanted for their Jewish kids. Sorry, this is horribly dated and irrelevant information, but thought I'd add my bit FWIW.

vdo Thu 28-Jan-10 12:43:38

Coming to London from Paris in 2 months with 3 kiddies and am considering St Christina for them. Trick is they are 4 and 6 and nearly only speak French,,, They offered to put biggest in Y1 instead of Y2 but I'm concerned she may get bored as far as other parts of the curriculum are concerned...any experience to share on the ability of this (or others) to help with non native speakers? Thanks!!

ersi Tue 01-Feb-11 17:43:12

Hi, my son is due to start Year 1 at St Christina in September and my daughter is due to start her Reception class. My understanding is that this is primarily a girls school and i am a bit concerned that there will be only few boys in my son's class. Would that matter?
Any advise is welcome

Christina01 Tue 22-Mar-11 14:04:02

Hello everyone,
I am new here and this is my first post. I have enrolled my son at St Christina's and he is due to start in the reception class in September 2013. We have been invited to an open day this Thursday and we were wondering what we should wear? It is our first open day so we are quite nervous as we have been told that it is the parents who get assessed etc. Any advice would be really welcome.

Goga70 Wed 08-Jun-11 21:18:39

Ersi hi, my daughter is starting reception and my son in nursery in September. My daughter has been at Abercon for two years and my son has been given a place too by we feel that St Christina's is better choice for us although it would less convenient for drop offs and pick ups. I did also wonder how many boys will be schooled with him but liked the school so much and wanted to keep the children together. It is only for few years anyway and there will be plenty of opportunities to hang out with other boys once he leaves St Christina's. Well, this is how we have reasoned with ourselves.

Christina as for the outfit I was on my way to work when I visited school so nothing special required. :-)

JulP Fri 17-Jun-11 12:49:24

Hi, I am in the process of deciding if my daughter should go to St Christinas or SJW Pre-prep, I am a roman catholic but my husband is a hindu and we have not baptised my daughter however we both studied ina catholic school and keen to send her to a catholic school as well however want to know if the school is too catholic for a non-roman catholic child if you know what I mean, is it over-bearing, will she feel left out as I dont plan to get her baptised or anything ? Thanks and appreciate any frank opinion.

sibylle888 Sun 02-Oct-11 20:01:08

Dear all,
could anyone advise why I can't find an ofsted report for St Christina's? I'm not English and quite new to researching schools? Is it standard for RC schools not to require an oftsed report?
any comment is welcome
Sibylle

sugarfoot Mon 03-Oct-11 10:41:41

It has an Independent Schools Inspectorate report: http://www.saintchristinas.org.uk/sites/default/files/isc-2007.pdf

Hurshida Sun 30-Oct-11 20:05:23

Hey, friend's daughter goes t St Christinas and loves it. though finds it a bit strict though she is super well behaved 5 yr old.

maatkare Thu 30-Oct-14 16:39:03

I went to St. Christina's in from 1967 to 1970. I know that is a very long time ago, but I have such wonderful memories of the school and am very grateful for the fantastic education I received there. I got excellent marks in my 11+ although my father finally decided to send me to another convent school for my secondary education.
I would recommend this school to anyone who values a complete education involving academics and ethics. However, it is true that it is very focused on the Catholic religion which should not surprise anyone as it is a Convent School.

Tania10 Sun 02-Nov-14 21:11:53

Hello - I just wanted to update people, having started this thread when we were deciding on which primary school to send our daughter to. We did send our daughter to Saint Christina's and have been very happy with it. I'm sure we would have also been happy with our alternative, the Cavendish School. Our daughter receives excellent teaching and is in a nourishing, warm, grounded environment. I've been sometimes moved by the kindness and understanding of the teachers. The other families we've met are lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now