Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Number bonds in Reception

(11 Posts)
ChocolateGirl Sun 17-Apr-05 19:28:50

My ds is doing "Number bonds" in Reception. What exactly are they? Sorry, if I'm being a bit stupid... but I just don't know! Not a term I remember from school. Mind you, that was a long time ago!

Aniles Sun 17-Apr-05 19:32:11

Number bonds to ten are all the pairs of numbers that add up to ten. eg 1 and 9, 2 and 8, 3 and 7 etc.

HTH

Peachyclair Sun 17-Apr-05 19:57:09

Blimey, my school is doing how to spell your name. Wish I had yours!!!

allatsea Sun 17-Apr-05 20:07:28

number bonds can also be thought of as all of the combinations for other numbers too
so pairs of numbers which would make 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 may need to be covered too

jampots Sun 17-Apr-05 20:35:29

my ds does number bonds and then moves onto multiplication tables. They do challenges so bronze, silver then gold in number bonds then bronze, silver and gold in multiplication so its a whole school thing. When you have gold multiplication, you then try for platinum which is any times table question answered within 3 seconds - they are doing the platinum as young as year 4 now

ChocolateGirl Sun 17-Apr-05 21:48:50

Oh my gosh, jampots, that's scary!

Thanks for your responses - I won't have to look totally blank at Parents' Evening now! And we can practise...

jampots Sun 17-Apr-05 22:01:09

M&S used to do a rocket shaped puzzle with the number bonds on - i gave ours to ds's school but someone else may have one - actually M&S are v good for early learning stuff.

tigi Tue 19-Apr-05 21:41:41

ours are doing, 'what is one/two more than...' and ' what is one/two less than ....'

ambrosia Tue 19-Apr-05 21:49:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fee77 Tue 19-Apr-05 22:01:04

Encourage children to use theirs fingers - if holding up three fingers, how many are left (7!). I also used play an echo game with my children i shout a number, they whisper the bond back. The aim is that children will know them off by heart.

ambrosia Tue 19-Apr-05 22:04:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now