Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

moving to kent from surrey

(11 Posts)
kentmover Wed 11-Mar-09 09:20:35

Thinking of houses around hawkhurst/cranbrook area and need info on the following primary and secondary schools.

hawkhurst primary
benenden primary
sandhurst primary
cranbrook primary

cranbrook school
angley school
homewood school

pros and cons if anyone has any please?

UnquietDad Wed 11-Mar-09 09:21:50

I grew up in that area and I think they're all pretty good, to be honest.

poopscoop Wed 11-Mar-09 17:04:14

I have a friend in that area, her kids are Cranbrook school and doing well.

bettany Thu 12-Mar-09 11:51:11

In the Kent Messenger paper this week there was a list of how Kent primary schools did in terms of passing the eleven plus. Of the schools you mentioned:

Hawkhurst- 1 out of class of 29 passed
Benenden- 6 out of 23
Sandhurst- (wasn't mentioned)
Cranbrook- 4 out of 32.

From what I can see the best school in that part of Kent in terms of eleven plus passes was Goudhurst with 15 out of 31.

Angley is a comprehensive school.

Cranbrook is a (free) public school in all but name. All pupils start at age 13 and about two thirds come from a cluster of nearby prep schools like Dulwich, St Ronans and Marlborough.

Don't know anything about Homewood.

MarmadukeScarlet Thu 12-Mar-09 11:55:41

Cranbrook School is fab, hence the elevated house prices and own acronym (CSCA) on the estate agents details.

Angley is a secondary school with an attached farm/agriculture unit - didn't used to be partucularly academic, but I may be way out of date.

By Holmewood do you mean Homewood House in T.Wells? (A prep school)

You need Ingles2 for current info on schools in that area.

bettany Thu 12-Mar-09 12:19:32

I think Homewood is a secondary school in Tenterdon (having just googled it).

kentmover Thu 12-Mar-09 15:43:44

Hi all,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, Homewood is a secondary school in Tenterden.

I have had a poke around at some of the league tables and school websites. I always prefer to hear it from the 'horses mouth' so to speak with regard to schools, but so far, very helpful. Thanks

KarenmacH Fri 19-Jun-09 12:09:49

Hi

I am moving to the hawkhurst area this summer and desparately need some info on the primary schools. To be honest not too fussed about league tables, 11plus results just need to know what the school are like in terms of behaviour etc. Went to have a look at Sandhurst school and to be honest didnt get a good gut feeling about it - Hawkhurst is our local school but i have hear that there are behavioural issues. Does anyone know the extent of what these issues are - is it just the odd child being naughty? Re 11plus results not many people apparently have their children sit the exam cos they just go to the local comprehensensive - (according to Sandhurst Headmaster). Looking at other schools next week, some in East Sussex and Hawkhurst.

Thanks for any info
Karen

leanora26 Mon 01-Oct-12 13:02:44

Hi :-)

I'm thinking of moving to Kent in November, from the West Midlands, where are the nice areas?

Thanks!

MrsApplepants Mon 01-Oct-12 13:10:30

I live in Cranbrook and the common knowledge around here is that Hawkhurst Primary isn't great, Cranbrook Primary (not to be confused with Cranbrook school) is a just bit better. Benenden is good, Sissinghurst, Goudhurst and Colliers Green primaries all great. However, everyone I know who wants a place for their DC's in these schools is regularly attending the linked church, they are small schools and oversubscribed and this increases the chances.

Many parents in this area opt for private as there is so much choice of great private schools, if that is of any interest.

papooser Mon 01-Oct-12 22:26:13

I went to Cranbrook school back in the day - amazing school and AFAIK it still is. If I could I would send my kids there without a doubt (but sadly it's never going to happen sad( )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now