Talk

Advanced search

Teaching the time...

(6 Posts)
Dingle Sat 16-Apr-05 12:36:47

DS (Y1) has at long last had some homeworks given out. It's only about the 4th or 5th time ever and I have been struggling to keep him occupied at home when he wants to do something. I find that if I sort out some type of worksheets for him, he just goes to his little homework folder and does a bit when he wants to.

He needs to learn telling the time and I have had a quick look on my favorite site but couldn't find anything.

I know you are all such great sources of info here. Has anyone got any links to help please.

miam Sat 16-Apr-05 13:43:27

Hi Dingle. You may find he will enjoy this site

Cam Sat 16-Apr-05 14:49:49

I taught my dd to tell the time before they did it at school because she asked me to. Can I ask if your ds has a watch because that's a great incentive. What I did was to break it down completely; first I explained that there are 2 hands, one to say which hour it is and one to say how many minutes to or past that hour. Also that they go around the clock face at different rates, the hour one taking 12 hours and the minute one taking 60 minutes. After that it is a matter of learning that the clock face can then be divided into halves (for o'clock and half-past) and quarters (for quarter to and quarter past). I also impressed on her the idea that there are 5 minute slots. Then its just a matter of practice. I must say that because she was ready, she learnt the whole thing in about half-an-hour but it is something that they suddenly "get" and different children seem to "get it" at any stage between 6 and 8. My last tip is to make it fun!

LIZS Sat 16-Apr-05 15:17:37

We bought one of \link{http://www.galt.co.uk/playlearn/play05.htm \these Clock-o-Diles} and an "I can Learn" workbook on Time for ds last summer. He was 6 then and grasped the quarter/half hours easily but still struggles a bit with the 5 minute intervals. We also made a clock out fo a plaper plate with hands etc. Found it easier if he had a play clock face in front of him.

LIZS Sat 16-Apr-05 15:18:23

sorry Clock-o-Dile

Dingle Sat 16-Apr-05 21:48:47

Thank you ladies! Some great ideas, and another site added to my favs! Now I need to get him to put something down on paper so that he can take in into school next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now