Talk

Advanced search

Who else on here is old enough to remember corporal punishment being administered in their school?

(74 Posts)
PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 14-Apr-05 22:55:38

I left primary school in 1977.

I remember the Headmaster wandering the corridors with "the slipper" in his hand.

I sat next to a boy who was regularly sent to him to get "the slipper".

It made not one bit of difference to his behaviour.

sallyenglebertstrawberry Thu 14-Apr-05 22:56:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JanH Thu 14-Apr-05 22:58:03

I was caned 4 times, under the age of 11 - between 1958 and 1962.

Imagine that now.

marthamoo Thu 14-Apr-05 22:58:13

Me. I remember two boys at my primary school getting "the strap"

Jeez, if anyone took a leather strap to my primary aged son I'd tear them limb from limb.

I'm anti-violence, me.

ScummyMummy Thu 14-Apr-05 22:58:54

not me, I'm glad to say. It was banned in non religious London state schools v early.

ScummyMummy Thu 14-Apr-05 22:59:25

Poor you, janh.

binkybetsy Thu 14-Apr-05 23:00:35

I left in 1985 and it was phased out by then I think. I got the trainer once and barely recovered from the shame.

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 14-Apr-05 23:01:36

I was always shocked at the things my Mum told me about her treatment at school. The canings across her hand were sometimes so bad, the sores would become infected and her Mum would dress and bandage them for her, and this would be because she had opened her desk lid without permission .

JanH Thu 14-Apr-05 23:02:16

I certainly thought so, scummy!

Boys were still caned at secondary school later than that - I remember the deputy head sounding shocked that any boy would choose detention over caning (ie how feeble )

Bearess Thu 14-Apr-05 23:03:39

I remember in Infant 1 (reception) all having to stand on our chairs for some collective act of naughtiness and getting a tap on the palm of the hand with a ruler - I said "Oh, that didn't hurt" so got another one, never knew when to keep my mouth firmly closed!

ghosty Thu 14-Apr-05 23:10:00

We were all terrified of a teacher at primary school who was rumoured to have a cane in her cupboard, but I never heard of her ever using it though. I left primary school in 1981.
My mum and dad have storied galore about canings and 'the ruler' .... my favourite story is when my grandfather (a Salvation Army minister) went into my dad's school and picked up the headmaster by the collar for caning my dad for something he hadn't done ... classic stuff

SaintGeorge Thu 14-Apr-05 23:15:29

The only kid I remember actually getting the slipper, rather than just the threat of it, was the school bully.

In junior school we were more likely to get a bump on the forehead from the well aimed blackboard duster, lobbed across the room by an irate teacher.

expatinscotland Thu 14-Apr-05 23:18:39

I do! It was called 'getting paddled' and we lived in fear of it and so behaved at school.

PrettyCandles Thu 14-Apr-05 23:22:21

The Head in our primary was rumoured to keep two canes in his office. But he never used them - perhaps they were just a rumour. We had one veteran teacher in the last year who would crack boys' heads together if they were fighting in class, or sometimes clout a boy on the head if he misbehaved continuously. Nonetheless he was popular and respected rather than feared - unlike the Head, for whom exactly the opposite applied.

jasper Thu 14-Apr-05 23:22:35

I got the belt in third year (1977) for throwing a scarf around in the maths class. IT HURT

marthamoo Thu 14-Apr-05 23:23:44

Sorry, it would have helped if I had put years - I left Primary School in 1981.

CountessDracula Thu 14-Apr-05 23:23:56

dh used to get the slipper

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 14-Apr-05 23:25:21

SaintGeorge, you've just reminded me, the same lad regularly had the wooden blackboard rubber thrown at his head - the teacher never missed .

Tinker Thu 14-Apr-05 23:25:42

Oh I do. Brother got the cane and I remember horrible headmaster in Juniors used to strut round the dining hall hitting one hand with his cane. Plus, had nun headmistress who used to poke you in the chest with either her boney finger or a key

juniperdewdrop Thu 14-Apr-05 23:28:30

I was always being caned but only in secondary school. They gave up in the end and gave me extra work. Don't know why they expected me to do it but I did?

In primary one weirdo teacher used to put me over his knee and spank me and a boy in the class. The head found out though so he apologised and stopped. OMG imagine him getting away with that nowadays?

ScummyMummy Thu 14-Apr-05 23:30:58

Adults were so bloody vicious in those days weren't they? Throwing a scarf hardly sounds like the crime of the century- poor you Jasper. Saw a Scottish belt in a Dundee museum a couple of weeks back and it was a substantial and painful looking thing. And poking a kid with a key is a low act, I think, Tinks.

Tinker Thu 14-Apr-05 23:33:59

Same nun yanked me by the ear across teh hall just because I was sent to get the register by my teacher. Does make me laugh though. She used to ride a motorbike and there were lots of rumours about her veil blowing upwards and her bald head being visible

JoolsToo Thu 14-Apr-05 23:36:38

Me - in junior school the headmistress had a strap - that was used once in the time I was there. Fourth year junior teachers each had their own weapon of choice - a wooden spoon, and old gym shoe - they were looked on with affection strangely - we even gave them names. I think I got the slipper once

No big deal for me - we behaved.

ScummyMummy Thu 14-Apr-05 23:38:15

Sister Baldy the Vicious. She sounds like a really evil woman, frankly. My mother-in-law would not be surprised- she has not got over her treatment at school by nuns.

nosyparker Thu 14-Apr-05 23:40:40

first year of primary school I got the ruler for talking to another pupil - in fact I was so goody two shoes I was just telling them they couldn't copy my answers. I remember it vividly and would kill anyone who even touched my children once like that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: