Talk

Advanced search

confused, reception , whats the starting age

(20 Posts)
lucy5 Fri 08-Apr-05 21:33:36

My dd is 4 born in dec 2000, she has just been placed in a reception class at an international school. Today I was told that she has been placed in the wrong class and shouldnt be in reception until next academic year. Is this correct, the terminology has confused me?

deegward Fri 08-Apr-05 21:36:46

No that's right. If she were in England she would not start reception until Sept 2005. Ds1 waas 5 on 1oth March and started reception in Jan. Here the cut off is 1st Sept until 31st August so in my case babes born sept 1999 until august 2000. or in your case babes born Sept 2000 until Aug 2001. hope this helps

WigWamBam Fri 08-Apr-05 21:37:20

Reception usually starts in the September after they are 4, so I would have expected her to be in this year's intake and starting this September.

WigWamBam Fri 08-Apr-05 21:38:03

Sorry, next academic year, I meant.

lucy5 Fri 08-Apr-05 21:42:24

oh, thanks, I thought it was wrong when they placed her. It's a two edged sword really, on the positive, if she had been placed in the correct year we wouldnt have got her a place. On the negative she is way behind the other kids and I'm worried what it will do to her.

Aniles Fri 08-Apr-05 21:49:43

Lucy, what do you mean by she's way behind the other kids?

lucy5 Fri 08-Apr-05 21:59:05

Shes been in a Spanish nursery and has only just started to form letters, the kids who are in her new class and have moved up through the new school are reading and writing. I had no idea that they would be doing this at this age.

Aniles Fri 08-Apr-05 21:59:48

Oh, I see (from your other thread). So, the school are planning on keeping her in reception even though she's technically too young! I think from what you've said they want her to catch up with the children in reception but then she's going to be going over it all again in reception next academic year? And I assume this means that at the end of this academic year she will be staying in the class while every other child in the class moves into year 1? I can't really see the benefit of this at all. Is there any way that she could go down to nursery and join reception when she's supposed to?

Aniles Fri 08-Apr-05 22:00:57

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

lucy5 Fri 08-Apr-05 22:04:14

No I dont see the benefit either but the class below is full until September. This is not how I imagined dd starting her school life, the school wont move her because there is a huge waiting list, they have messed up and I think it's a case of damage limitation. I dont really want to pull her out, this is the only good school (well it is normally) in my area, I also dont want to disturb dd too much.

Aniles Fri 08-Apr-05 22:07:57

I really don't think there should be any pressure for your dd to catch up with the other children in her class who are obviously older and have been in reception for longer. I'd talk to the school about this and make sure they know that it is there mistake and that dd's experience of early school shouldn't be compromised at all because of it. Hopefully they will treat your dd as a child who should be in nursery, not a reception child.

lucy5 Fri 08-Apr-05 22:11:45

I think so, teacher seems very nice and switched on, they are offering me a pack for home so dd isnt singled out, I just worry that she will cotton on that she isnt doing the same as the others. I just wanted everything to be perfect for her.

Aniles Fri 08-Apr-05 22:12:54

I meant their mistake, not there, before the spell check police get onto me!

Aniles Fri 08-Apr-05 22:14:01

Well, at least it's only for one term

lucy5 Fri 08-Apr-05 22:18:11

Thanks aniles, I think I'm struggling with the fact that my baby has gone to school anyway.

LIZS Sat 09-Apr-05 08:09:10

I agree - it is only for one term - does it finish in June like ours or longer ?
She is probably only 4 months younger than some of the others and in development terms may not be that far adrift from some of the younger boys. dd is 31/2 (just about the same academice year groupa s your dd) but is "academically" in advance of the boys at her playgroup who are up to 6 months older. have nay others joined since the beginning of the year , as they may face similar issues of "catching up".

If it is anything like the International schools around here the level of achievement and interest in reading and writing at that age is pretty variable across the first few years, particularly as for many English is not the first language, and the curriculum (IB Primary Years ) still very much activity and play based. Let her enjoy the facilities and social side and gently introduce some of the other skills - arts and crafts, playdoh, making necklaces etc are good for fine motor skills. If you leave her where she is and support her a bit at home she may well have an advantage come August/September when she is joined by her peers.

lucy5 Sat 09-Apr-05 20:49:57

yes she finishes at the end of june. Im not sure if there are any other late starters, i will find out on Monday. Have you got any good links about ib primary years, is that the same as pyp? Where are you based? Sorry,for asking so many questions, thanks for the advice.

LIZS Sat 09-Apr-05 21:06:54

pyp is the IB Primary Year Progamme . Have a look here . ds has been through it from preschool to grade 1 at International School in Switzerland.

lucy5 Sat 09-Apr-05 21:09:03

Thanks, will have a look now.

lucy5 Sat 09-Apr-05 21:21:08

Thanks, this was perfect. Just printing it off to peruse at my leisure. The funny thing is I have just started to work at a different international school and we follow the British National Curriculum, I have to ask myself why.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now