Talk

Advanced search

When to start prep school for DS born 02/09/02

(12 Posts)
MoggyMummy Tue 05-Apr-05 11:26:17

I hope someone can help me or offer me some advice

My DS is 2.7 and I have started thinking of prep schools for him. As far as I can tell they start when they turn 4.

DS was born 2 Sept 2002 - which makes things a little complicated.

Do I start him in school in 2006 (when he will be the youngest in class) or do I wait a year and then he will be the oldest one (he also looks much older than he is).

What in your experience has been the better option for boys?

I suppose I am being a bit "mother hen" about this but I know I will feel bad if he struggles to keep up or if he ends up getting bored becasue he is the oldest.

Or am I worrying unnecessarily?
Thank you

soapbox Tue 05-Apr-05 11:34:03

If you are sending him to a prep school they will have their own policy which to get in you pretty much are forced to comply with.

Get the prospectuses (prospecti??) for schools that you are interested in and see what the policy is?

LIZS Tue 05-Apr-05 11:34:10

Depends how flexible the school are about registering him. You could ask for him to be assessed for the 2006 intake and if they agree and subsequently offer him a place, fine it is then up to you to choose if he is ready nearer the time (although you'd probably have to decide by Easter in practice). Friends' dd who is a mid September birthday is coping fine with being a "year ahead" and was definitely ready, but it is very individual.

MoggyMummy Tue 05-Apr-05 11:37:05

Saopbox - I went and spoke to one I had considered and they pretty much said I could put his name down for either year. That is why I was a little confused.Maybe I need to talk to more schools and see what they they say. Thanks anyway

Tommy Tue 05-Apr-05 11:47:12

In a state school he would be the oldest in the class - and go Sept 07

soapbox Tue 05-Apr-05 12:36:38

Moggy - did they mean you could choose what age to start reception or did they mean that they have a nursery class they can start at 3 and then a reception class where they start at 4??

Probably best to chat it through with teh school and see what they advise.

MoggyMummy Tue 05-Apr-05 12:41:11

Hmm - now I'm even more confused - I can't remember what they said . You are right - I need to go back and ask them again.

Easy Tue 05-Apr-05 12:41:33

My son was born 1/9/99, and started school last sept, just 1 day after his 5th birthday.

I think starting at JUST 4 is a bit early. by all means start him reading and using numbers, make sure he has lots of opportunities to mix with other children at nursery or something, but I think defering school is better.

I say this in hindsight, I had wanted him to start early too, but our local ed auth. wouldn't allow it. I now think they're right.

oh, BTW he's just moved up to join the year above.

Enid Tue 05-Apr-05 12:42:56

dd2 was born 19.11.02 and she is starting at the kindergarten at the pre-prep in September.

Prep school proper starts at 7. Before that its pre-prep. hth.

MoggyMummy Tue 05-Apr-05 12:47:38

Thank you Easy - that is very is reassuring to hear.

I'm going back to the drawing board on this one and will talk to some schools - I have just realised how uninformed I am about the whole "starting school" subject

Easy Tue 05-Apr-05 15:57:39

MoggyMummy

I was rushed before. Wanted to say that my ds read and did maths before he started school, I kept him busy and stimulated in that year before he started, but joining reception at 5 has given him the chance to do the social growing up.

His reading age is about 8, and he is well above average in numeracy skills for his age. but he doesn't get bored with school, and a good teacher should be able to deal with a child who is that bit further ahead, esp in the private sector with smaller classes.

I would advise you to enjoy your pre-school child for an extra year, don't pressure him a year earlier.

JulieF Tue 05-Apr-05 22:34:38

DD was born Oct 2001. She is currently in the nursery class at her pre-prep school. She will stay there until the term after she turns 4 (Sept 2006) so she will be the oldest in the class. Pretty much every school I have come across does this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now