Talk

Advanced search

German Latin tutor needed

(21 Posts)
AussieLou Fri 09-Jan-09 15:52:16

I am looking for a tutor for one of my charges. They would need to be able to tutor a German student in Latin. If anyone knows of a uni student, au pair etc that needs some extra cash who is near the Richmond area please send them this way. If anyone knows of anywhere else I can look other then Gumtree please let me know. Im getting desperate. Thanks

PuzzleRocks Fri 09-Jan-09 16:22:51

Bumping for you.

PuzzleRocks Fri 09-Jan-09 16:22:51

Bumping for you.

frannikin Fri 09-Jan-09 19:58:47

I would quite happily do it but unfortunately I'm in Paris, not Richmond.

Would an A-level Latin student do? In which case might I suggest trying the local private schools that still offer Latin?

frogs Fri 09-Jan-09 21:16:56

I would happily do it also, but am in North London. Can you not contact the Gm school in Richmond, to see whether they have a classics teacher? Or maybe one of their sixth formers might do it?

othersideofchannel Sun 11-Jan-09 15:28:40

I too was going to suggest contacting the German School in Richmond and asking if one of their (Latin) Abitur students might be interested?

AussieLou Mon 12-Jan-09 09:12:31

She attends the German school and there is no one who can do it (well no one that she likes anyway). Thanks for the offer Frannikin...correspondence maybe grin

frannikin Mon 12-Jan-09 10:14:57

What is she having trouble with? If she's up to having some explanations in English there are probably plently of students who would do it. Otherwise - Gumtree?

samanthar Tue 13-Jan-09 22:23:45

I could do it too but am too far...maybe we should all get together! Any Latin tutor could do it though it would make life easier to explain the grammar striaght into German. Do you have the grapevine magazine try online as ma sure I've seen Latin offered. Try Tiffin Schools, kingston Grammar, Hampton, LEH maybe

annasmami Wed 14-Jan-09 15:02:59

Is Latin different when taught in German than in English?

cory Wed 14-Jan-09 15:17:55

You can relate it to German obviously, so some things are going to be easier to explain (ablative does pretty well what the dative does in German).

annasmami Wed 14-Jan-09 17:23:42

So, is it easier to learn/teach latin in German than it is in English (as there are more similarities)?

ZZZen Thu 15-Jan-09 12:20:06

No I don't think so anna. However you generally have to translate from Latin into your mother tongue. So if your mother tongue is German, having to translate Latin into English is more difficult. It would make sense to learn to translate it into German which I presume is the reason why Aussielou needs a German speaking Latin tutor for her charge.

ALso the way Latin is pronounced by English speakers is quite different to the way German speakers learn to pronounce it, so it just makes sense to not acquire it in 2 different ways I'd imagine. It took me some time to get used to the German way of pronouncing Latin. Sometimes I didn't have a clue who people were talking about and v.v. (perhaps even more so v.v.)

AussieLou Thu 15-Jan-09 14:40:28

Sorry its been a while since I posted this.
Still having no luck finding anyone. I can find lots of Latin and German tutors but no German speaking people who tutor in Latin.
She is being tutored once a week by a teacher but needs a whole lot more then an hour. Fingers crossed that someone turns up.

samanthar Thu 15-Jan-09 16:15:20

Hi If she can get to Epsom I could maybe help
How old is she?

AussieLou Thu 15-Jan-09 20:32:21

Samanthar - Epsom is a bit far but thanks for the offer.

ZZZen Fri 16-Jan-09 13:16:32

There is a German expat forum but I can't remember the name offhand deutsche-in-London or soemthing like that. Anyone know?

If the name comes back to me, I'll let you know; that might be a good place to ask.

dilemma456 Mon 19-Jan-09 19:55:20

Message withdrawn

ZZZen Tue 20-Jan-09 18:40:22

Yes, thanks dilemma, that's the one I meant. I should think it would be ok to post about it in English otherwise let us know if you want to post there and need a message translated into German AussieLou.

I do think universities or the Goethe Institut in London would be your best bets though.

AussieLou Wed 21-Jan-09 09:38:11

Sorry for the delay in writing. Its been a crazy week.
We have decided that she is going to stay with her Latin teacher for now. I have put up ads in the unis etc and we will just wait and see what happens.
Thanks for all the help smile

Gummibaerchen Thu 05-Mar-09 12:13:26

Hi, am German, studied Classics at Heidelberg and am currently doing a DPhil in Classics at Corpus Christi College (University of Oxford), but I live in Richmond with my 15months old son and my husband. Let me know if you want me to help! Just email me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now