Advanced search

How do you 'prove' where you live for school catchments?

(7 Posts)
gaussgirl Tue 06-Jan-09 09:28:18

This is lifted from our county council's Y7 'timeline' under 'Warnings': What does it really mean?

"Places are withdrawn every year because parents give a false address on application forms. This includes cases where parents take out a short term let or buy a property solely to use its address on the application form without any intention of taking up permanent residence there. In fairness to all parents, the County Council will investigate all allegations of fraudulent practice brought to its attention and, where appropriate, may monitor the residency details you provide, particularly if use of a temporary or permanent address causes concern."

In particular:

"this includes cases where parents take out a short term let.....without the intention of taking out permanent residence there".

What's a short term let? ALL private 'lets' in the UK are surely short term? As in one has precisely 60 days security of tenure! How can anyone legally define one's 'intention' of permanence?

I KNOW the CC are trying to cover their bases but it does make me wonder how secure WE'LL be when we make our (rented) move before mid October 09 so as to get DC into our chosen secondary!

HOW do CCs (we're talking Hants here) get you to prove residency? As in what if a council tax bill doesn't fall due then? Will a tenancy agreement do?

annmar Tue 06-Jan-09 09:36:21

We had to send current Council Tax bill, current utility bill and proof we were paying a mortgage on the property, not sure what the alternative was for rented accomodation.

LIZS Tue 06-Jan-09 09:38:22

If you have moved recently ie within the past 6/12 months you may have to produce a tenancy agreement and evidence that that is your only address ie. statements from bank beign sent tot he address, utility bills, changing your driving licence etc. The standard Shorthold Tenancy Agreement is normally for a 6 month minimum period. You would still be liable to pay CT even if you move in Feb/March (the 2 months when an installment is n't normally due ) on a prorata basis and previous tenants would claim a prorata rebate. So there would be something in writing from the Council even then. A Child Benefit letter (such as the one that came out recently re.the increase) is another form of id often requested as it states who it is paid to as resident parent/guardian, the address and name and dob of child.

bollockbrain Tue 06-Jan-09 09:39:01

council tax bills are usually the norm.

gaussgirl Tue 06-Jan-09 10:16:17

Thanks everyone!

Katiestar Tue 06-Jan-09 21:36:54

We had to send photocopy of medical card ,tenancy agreement and they checked the electoral roll too.

gaussgirl Wed 07-Jan-09 15:56:42

I guess the message is to get it all in the new house's address asap.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: