Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is my dog "gifted"?

(46 Posts)
Keane Tue 29-Mar-05 16:08:53

yesterday we went a walk and she opened the stairgate, unlocked the back door, jumped over the garden wall and met up with us on our walk.

Surely this is not "normal" dog behaviour?

Titania Tue 29-Mar-05 16:09:24

eh?!?!

flamesparrow Tue 29-Mar-05 16:10:50

LOL very talented dog there.

Oooh, you could sell him on ebay and make a fortune!!!

hunkermunker Tue 29-Mar-05 16:11:37

Did she lock the back door after her? Tsk tsk if not

flamesparrow Tue 29-Mar-05 16:12:18

Anyone ever wonder why they didn't sell Clifford for millions instead of leaving their lives to live on an island with him?

flamesparrow Tue 29-Mar-05 16:13:03

Apologies in advance for not taking the love of a pet seriously enough, for critisicing island life, or whatever else that was offensive about...

Keane Tue 29-Mar-05 16:15:05

pmsl flamesparrow

coppertop Tue 29-Mar-05 16:21:08

Have you thought of enrolling her in a "Gifted Pooch" programme? It's expensive (around 20 tins of Pedigree Chum per week) but you can get grants to offset the cost. Some places will even accept dog biscuits instead if you ask nicely.

Keane Tue 29-Mar-05 16:25:08

we have been aproached by these agencies before. Are they legit?

coppertop Tue 29-Mar-05 16:31:45

You have to be careful. Some of these agencies will charge you up front and then you never hear from them again. A good agency will introduce you to your dog's tutor immediately. They may also be able to help your dog with the Canine 11+ exams. This is essential if you want your dog to get into a good college. Be wary of the places that ask you to buy dog-coats embroidered with the agency's name. It's just a cheap and shoddy piece of advertising. Remember, they should be paying you and your dog for wearing these accessories.

hunkermunker Tue 29-Mar-05 16:33:42

Careful before paying out for a puppy portfolio too - some photographers just want to do seedy-type pics which are too disgusting to talk about on MN. All studded collars and chain leashes. Yuck.

flamesparrow Tue 29-Mar-05 16:34:44

I'd heard rumours of such things but hoped that they never really happened, that maybe it was just in films of young pups being led astray.....

coppertop Tue 29-Mar-05 16:35:17

So those seedy rumours I'd heard were true after all??? Oh the exploitation!

hunkermunker Tue 29-Mar-05 16:36:46

I'm so sorry to shock you nice ladies. I just wanted to warn you about the horrors that lurk out there for unsuspecting pooches and their owners. It's not all Pal with marrowbone, shall we say.

Keane Tue 29-Mar-05 16:36:54

oh dear. I knew this would happened. She is sporting a woolen patchwork peice produced by dogs trust. They must have seen her capabilities and obviously thought they could make a quick bit of money out of it. oh why am i so trusting????

She is curently studying for the canine 11+, even though she has gone grey in the face. But hey, looks arent everything. Apparently we can try just for dogs, bit like just for men. Maybe that would make her feel younger again? not that has anything to do with intellectual capabilities

hunkermunker Tue 29-Mar-05 16:37:58

Oh, Keane - take heart from the fact she's able to wear said patchwork in front of you - it's one step to talking about the exploitation.

flamesparrow Tue 29-Mar-05 16:39:34

How can you say that looks aren't important... looks are everything!!!! Especially in the doggy world...

Just For Dogs has a bit of an iffy reputation. Your best bet is to take him to a salon where they hand pain each individual hair to an eact colour match (they have a machine like the b&q paint match one)

coppertop Tue 29-Mar-05 16:39:44

Have you considered canine counselling? It's not only dogs who are good at listening, you know?

Keane Tue 29-Mar-05 16:41:48

so you think the just for dogs is worth it?

I didnt want her to be vain and get obsessed with her looks. She will be in season soon I dont want any common uneducated dogs sniffing around her, just because of her fur dye

hunkermunker Tue 29-Mar-05 16:43:24

That's a good point - you can't keep those mongrels away once you've had the individual hand-painting done. How about you just take her for a french polish for now? Nothing ostentatious, just something to make her feel a bit pampered.

coppertop Tue 29-Mar-05 16:44:57

Don't be tempted to have her 'undergrowth' treated. It can send out all the wrong signals.

flamesparrow Tue 29-Mar-05 16:45:05

Oooh, french polish sounds a good idea.

Keane Tue 29-Mar-05 16:47:22

she has had canine counselling before, organised by the ^not just a clever dog^ organisation

It didnt really work. She just became more disruptive, and began to use my lipstick.

Maybe a bit of a french polish would help

Keane Tue 29-Mar-05 16:48:52

her undergrowth has always been quite neat unfortunately as she worked out how to use my ladyshave

coppertop Tue 29-Mar-05 16:51:21

Hmmm. It sounds as though she's a great believer in having brains and beauty... Have you tried using time-outs when she does things like this? It can be really effective IME.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now