Talk

Advanced search

DD going for assesment for music scholarship

(9 Posts)
wangle99 Mon 28-Mar-05 21:44:44

DD is going for an assessment at a local private school (she currently is in a state primary but not getting on hugely well). She is being assessed for a music scholarship.

She plays the piano very well but I wonder whether nerves are going to get the better of her and she is going to 'fluff' it completely. She desperately wants to go to the school which isn't helping! (She practically lives at the piano at the moment, have to drag her off it lol!).

Do you think the school will take nerves into account. Oh god, think I'm as nervous as she is! DD is 7 years old and in year 3.

Thanks

Sarah

Yorkiegirl Mon 28-Mar-05 22:00:06

Message withdrawn

Christie Mon 28-Mar-05 22:18:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

snailspace Tue 29-Mar-05 00:18:30

Message withdrawn

bobbybob Tue 29-Mar-05 00:59:45

Yes they will take nerves into account.

I make sure that when my pupils are in performance situations they have visualised everything they have to do, right down to remembering to smile before and say thank you afterwards. I make them practise walking into the room, introduce their piece (if appropriate) and then make sure they are comfy, stool is in the right place, corners turned etc. before they start the piece. They then have to finish the piece confidently, stand up and say thank you, or bow or announce their next piece, whatever is appropriate. We practise over and over again.

If she is practising a lot then I would say the playing side of things is fine. Does she play through her pieces without stopping, or apologising for mistakes? Make sure she can get from the beginning to the end keeping going.

I got into music college because my music blew off the stand and I kept going, largely making it up it has to be said until I could pick up the music. So even if something goes wrong, it's not the end of the world.

wangle99 Tue 29-Mar-05 11:09:20

Thank you for putting my mind at ease!

Christie - I think we will hear pretty much straight away (at least within a day or so). The headmaster said if she was successful he would be happy for her to start the next week so they must make a decision quickly.

snailspace - DD has done an exam and wasn't really nervous. She desperately wants to go to the school so wants her playing to be perfect. Her place does depend on the scholarship but she doesn't know that. Her piano teacher said the same - the play a piece well rather than stretching her capabilities.

bobbybob - Thank you for that advice. She does place her pieces very well. She tends to play straight through with no stopping (only occasionally makes an error), she did used to apologise everytime she hit a wrong note but has stopped that now thank goodness!

yorkiegirl - thanks for the good luck!

I think we are doing everything right and will just hope she impresses them on the day. This is the only school in our area that offers musical scholarships for girls at this age (from year 3) and this year they've only awarded 1 so far .

Sarah

snailspace Tue 29-Mar-05 12:53:42

Message withdrawn

bobbybob Thu 31-Mar-05 00:23:49

Has she had the assessment yet?

wangle99 Thu 31-Mar-05 07:48:38

Hi

She hasn't had her assessment yet as we are currently on school holidays. I have sent the registration form in and I have to phone the school on the 19th April (seems ages away!) to book a day but the headteacher said it will be ASAP.

Obviously I'll have to take her out of her current school for the day - not sure what to tell them - any ideas? Or should I be honest?

Thanks

Sarah

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now