Talk

Advanced search

Things to look forward to when your child starts school

(12 Posts)
emkana Wed 23-Mar-05 10:08:36

Dd1 will start school in September. I know that's still a while away but I'm already feeling sad at the thought of "losing" her . I know I'm being a bit silly here... but it does make me feel a bit emotional.

So I need to cheer myself up by thinking of positive things that come with starting school. It won't be having more me-time, as I still have dd2. So anything else?

SoupDragon Wed 23-Mar-05 10:14:34

Seeing the excitement they get from the new things they are doing

myalias Wed 23-Mar-05 10:48:15

I feel the same emkana my ds2 starts school in september. I felt the same way when my ds1 started school. It wasn't so bad then because I was still working 3 days a week and my mat leave was in the November.
The positives for me back then was that on my days off I could do what ever I wanted ie. go for lunch with friends, go swimming, watch trash t.v, decorating, gardening etc. The time does wizz by when they are at school.
I'm planning on waiting a few months to make sure ds2 is completely settled and then I can look for another 3 day a week job. I currently work a couple of nights a week and I've been doing this for 3 years now. I want to work whilst they are at school and have fun with them when they come out of school. I'm really going to miss my little man.

Bozza Wed 23-Mar-05 10:50:06

I feel a bit emotional about DS going to school in September although I do feel as though he is ready. I am looking forward to having some one on one time with DD. Currently have that with DS while DD is napping but not vice-versa.

debs26 Wed 23-Mar-05 10:56:37

things to look forward to :

the huge smile you get when they run out to you at the end of the school day because they look forward to seeing you

all the lovely pictures they draw for you in school

feeling immensely proud when they get stickers/certificates

them helping you read books

not having to do chores around them so higher percentage of quality time

seeing them as real little people with their own friends

them showing you how they can write 'i love you mummy'

seeing them be so proud of their own acheivements

WideWebWitch Wed 23-Mar-05 12:03:21

Bloody hell, TIME ON YOUR OWN!

WideWebWitch Wed 23-Mar-05 12:03:39

Or was that just me?

suzywong Wed 23-Mar-05 12:06:17

debs26 that's lovely and I agree wholeheartedly

Bozza Wed 23-Mar-05 12:17:58

Ah thats another thing to look forward to. On the two days I don't work and DS is at school I will have the time that DD naps to myself.

tortoiseshell Wed 23-Mar-05 12:44:04

Time spent with them can just be doing FUN things, not worrying about if you've spent enough time on reading/writing/arithmetic/astrophysics.

emkana Wed 23-Mar-05 19:24:32

www, I will look forward to having time on my own, but that's a while off yet as I still have dd2! And am planning to have another baby...

Thanks for your posts so far. Any more?

emkana Thu 19-May-05 10:49:50

Had to resurrect this thread because we had parents' evening last night and it made me feel all emotional again! Even though part of me is excited as well and pleased for her as she's so looking forward to it...

but I'll really miss our days together

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now