Advanced search

Should I tell them to stick their nursery place?

(14 Posts)
Davros Sat 19-Mar-05 18:31:20

I've applied for a few local nurseries for DD who has just turned 2. I'm looking for a place for September NEXT year, 2006. So last week I found myself sitting in a nursery with a group of anxious mothers and their kids, being vetted/assessed (who knows) and realised that the Head was talking about places for THIS September. So, do I phone her and say I don't want a place this Sept or do I wait and see if they accept DD, but if they don't and I don't ring will I be upset?????
Trivial I know.....

Blossomhill Sat 19-Mar-05 18:49:59

I would just ring and say you want it for next year Davros. They will know anyway once they see dd's DOB so it will save you all a lot of time and effort.

Davros Sat 19-Mar-05 18:52:10

No, they've got the right birth date, its just that so many people round here want their kids in nursery when they're 2-2.5!! I made a bollix and thought it was for next year. But I'm curious to know whether they offer her a place or not, even though I don't want it!

Blossomhill Sat 19-Mar-05 18:52:58

Well if that's the case what have you got to lose. Wait and see what happens

LIZS Sat 19-Mar-05 18:56:25

I'd wait and then ask to defer if they say yes. If not , and you still would like her to go there, ask for a review for the next intake.

Jimjams Sat 19-Mar-05 20:00:12

assessed at 2?/???

all this nt school stuff is weird isn't it? we're trying to sort out ds2's school place and I'm getting confused.

Jimjams Sat 19-Mar-05 20:02:58

Mind you thinking about it ds1 had an assessment at 2 for a private school. And passed. ha ha ha ha ha

Davros Sun 20-Mar-05 09:46:35

Yes, our DS got a place at this very school many years ago!! When we told them he had ASD they were polite but alarmed in case we wanted the place, as if! I have found the school for NT child quite confusing. At the moment we have applied for 4 local private nurseries, there are various types, the ones that start out more as day care, the sweet and nurturing ones that only go up to 5 and the "proper" ones attached to bigger schools. I basically boiled it down by deciding I wanted her at a mixed school, reasonably near to home to be able to walk if poss and good reputation. We don't have any state schools in walking distance except Catholic and CofE which we wouldn't entertain....... will prob still apply for state later on, or not, oh I don't know!!!!

halcat Tue 22-Mar-05 11:25:14

Sorry to sound daft but what is "NT"?

I'm new to mumsnet and don;t know the lingo!

crumpet Tue 22-Mar-05 11:36:53

halcat, have a look at the accronym list in "useful stuff" at the top of the page - you'll find NT (neurolocically typical) and a lot more!

halcat Tue 22-Mar-05 12:14:30

Thx crumpet, that makes a lot more sense...

Davros Wed 23-Mar-05 20:39:23

Well, she didn't get a place but they have offered the waiting list for an afternoon place. The reply slip gave an option to discuss deferring so I ticked that.

Jimjams Thu 24-Mar-05 08:21:29

Davros I've already started a thread about ds2's school place (he's currently at a sweet, small nursery- same one as ds1 went to). He's being put down for 2 state schools, but one won't let you look around until after they've offered a place (which is after he would have started other schools) and has a reputation for being dreadful with ASD- not that it matters directly for ds2 but I don't want him to see HFA kids being treated badly. Also it's huge. The other one is oversubscribed and out of catchment and we would have to droop and pick up right when dss1's taxi is coming back from school. As we love quite close to ds1's school they don't have that much flexibility in drop off and pick up times and I don't want to have to meet them in the school playground. So we are looking at a small private school with before and after school care and holiday care- which would give uus some flexibility with ds2 to make it easier for ds1.

Davros Sat 26-Mar-05 23:35:33

Hmmm, hadn't thought about asking about before/after school and holiday care. Either way, I don't want an afternoon place as I like to pick DS up at least twice a week though maybe I could make an arrangement with another mum. Not that I'm considering it for this Sept so that's all a long way off. At the moment I'm happy to wait as she has lots of activities and socialises with other kids plenty and, by having someone to "nanny" twice a week I get a lot more time out of it myself. I could never get the hours I get now out of a nursery and it certainly wouldn't be cheaper.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: