Talk

Advanced search

Today I went to school...

(16 Posts)
soapbox Fri 18-Mar-05 12:12:59

and helped out by listening to the children reading in my DS's reception class.

It was lovely to see the class 'at work' and see the teacher in action. The children were lovely, in fact they were all desperate to read with me - the novelty of a new face

I can see how it helps the teachers though as it took me just under an hour to do 5 children. They aim to read with children 3 times a week so that is 12 hours of teaching time a week devoted just to hearing the children read (20 in class). Between the teacher and teaching assistant that makes quite a dent in the time available for teaching.

I'm going to do it every Friday morning which is my day off work each week. I'm so glad I volunteered as it really was very enjoyable

Hulababy Fri 18-Mar-05 12:14:11

Glad you enjoyed it and found it a good experience soapbox. Well done on volunteering too, and giving up your time.

Marina Fri 18-Mar-05 12:18:08

Oh lovely, Soapbox, I do envy you having the weekday time to do this. I was on a school outing with ds' class and loved it too - seeing all the children we hear so much about in action, albeit outside the classroom, and also spending some time chatting to the teachers, classroom helpers and other parents who came along. It did help that we were at Hever Castle in glorious weather I think!

Gobbledigook Fri 18-Mar-05 12:18:33

Ooh, I can't wait to do that sort of thing at ds's school (doesn't start till Sept) - the bonus of being a SAHM is that I'll be able to get involved in things at school.

Glad you enjoyed it!

MissCheef Fri 18-Mar-05 12:23:28

Cool! - its hard for teachers these days - too much paperwork and not enough time spent doing the job they wanted to do.

soapbox Fri 18-Mar-05 12:25:07

It was actually one of Cod's rants that got me thinking!

She was ranting about the fact that working parents always find excuses not to do school/community based things, which struck a cord with me.

I have far too much committee crap to deal with at work to even contemplate PTAs or parent governors etc and since most of these meetings take place at 7pm I would lose out on my, precious beyond words, evening time with the children.

So this was my attempt to do something useful - and in any event I'd probably have spent all that time on MN anyway

I'm also thinking of volunteering as a debt counsellor at the CAB which would be a good use of my skill set. I'm not sure they will be interested in just a few hours a week though, but we shall see!

hotmama Fri 18-Mar-05 12:31:50

Ooh Soapbox, I'm really interested in doing debt counselling for the CAB or similar and I would be really interested to know how you get into it and get on etc.

Like the involvement in the school - my DD is only 5 months so a little premature at the mo - but something I definitely would want to do.

RTKangaMummy Fri 18-Mar-05 12:40:27

I love doing it soapbox hearing the children read is deffo brill

Also went in to help with cooking

and art work

zebra Fri 18-Mar-05 12:44:04

Soapbox!! I want to do debt counselling for CAB, too, what is your background that would make you suitable?

I will volunteer 1 morning/week in DS's school, too, from September, after my job finishes. Plus I want to be a playground monitor at lunchtimes.. sort the little ruffians out, LOL.

soapbox Fri 18-Mar-05 12:48:07

Zebra - I'm an accountant. Not that that makes me an expert in dealing with my own finances at times - a bit like the cobblers children

It does help though, with understanding how the system works.

I'm also quite bossy and assertive which would help when phoning the creditors and telling them that they will be getting a tiny bit of money each month rather than the wad they were expecting

I'm keen to do it as it seems to me that money worries can undermine so much of people's happiness. Being in debt can make family life hell I would imagine. If I can help people get back in control then that would be good!

hotmama Fri 18-Mar-05 12:53:48

Soapbox - ditto in circumstances are you sure you're not me. Would love to know how you get on - best of luck.

LIZS Fri 18-Mar-05 12:54:14

Our teacher doesn't go in for parents hearing individual kids read (actually not sure she does that much herself either ) but we do go in for craft activities (ie. egg dying yesterday) and ad hoc things, such as celebrating different national traditions (International School). I did Guy Fawkes (the less contraversial version !!) with another parent and have offered to go and tell the St George story next term, which ties in with them analysing Fairy Tales.

soapbox Fri 18-Mar-05 12:55:45

I've started another thread here -for those interested in volunteering for the CAB!

roisin Fri 18-Mar-05 18:49:18

I go in to school to listen to readers regularly, and also read stories to small groups, and I love it. Children's literature and reading is one of my passions, and it's a great experience.

Our school serves quite a deprived area, and it's quite heart-rending to realise how rarely some of the children are read to at home, or have anyone listen to them read.

singersgirl Fri 18-Mar-05 19:05:37

I go in to listen to the children read once a week and 3 yr old DS2 comes too (but wriggles and interrupts a lot). Last year, DS1 was in Y1 in an international school and all the children had up to date reading diaries with lots of parental comment. This year, though the new school serves a pretty affluent area generally, there are some children coming in without a single comment from the parents all year - I agree, Roisin, it's heart-rending to see that. And it's lovely to meet the children and just see the class in action.

Blossomhill Fri 18-Mar-05 19:06:58

Yes I help at ds's school. I prefer doing the creative stuff and have got so much out of it. I am hopefully going to train to a classroom assistant in September.
It's also reassuring to see the environment that ds is being cared for in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now