Talk

Advanced search

what is kumon maths / english

(13 Posts)
Cod Wed 16-Mar-05 09:48:59

Message withdrawn

Freckle Wed 16-Mar-05 09:56:34

I don't think it does anything differently. It's strength lies in the repetition of the basics until they become automatic. A lot of children move on in maths (particularly) without being comfortable/competent in the basics. This makes the more advanced maths more difficult. DS1 has been doing Kumon maths for a few years now. We started him because he actually enjoys maths (must take after his father!) and he does have a talent for it. Some people use the system for children who are struggling. We started DS3 on Kumon English because his knowledge of his letters deteriorated when he started school (he ended YR knowing less than when he started - presumably because they used a different system to teach letters and he got confused). He soon caught up and is doing really well now.

lockets Wed 16-Mar-05 09:57:53

Message withdrawn

Cod Wed 16-Mar-05 10:27:09

Message withdrawn

lockets Wed 16-Mar-05 10:29:34

Message withdrawn

Cod Wed 16-Mar-05 10:30:57

Message withdrawn

lockets Wed 16-Mar-05 10:33:25

Message withdrawn

LIZS Wed 16-Mar-05 11:06:53

I'm curious about this too - was wodnering if this would help ds cover some of the basics he has missed in comparison to his peers by being educated in a different system. Is there normally a waiting list and do they do summer intensives or just school terms, once a week? How fun/scholarly is it, am I going to struggle to get him there ?

Freckle Wed 16-Mar-05 11:13:05

Don't know if all centres are the same (it's run on a franchise basis, I think), but the boys have daily worksheets. You can choose how many pages a day they do, DS1 is currently doing 2 pages (as the work is quite difficult) and DS3 is doing 5, but you can choose anywhere between 1 and 10. You can opt for less work (e.g. fewer pages per day) during holidays, or to avoid work on certain days altogether (e.g. Christmas day). You attend the centre at least once a week, to get the next week's work, and generally have your work checked over. It is the parents' responsibility to mark the daily worksheets - you can have an answer book if you feel the work is beyond you!

Depending on how many pages you have, the work need only take about 10 - 20 minutes a day. DS1's grasp of maths is far better than mine these days, mainly due to the fact that he has the basics firmly instilled in his brain.

TwinSetAndPearls Wed 16-Mar-05 12:03:42

We have a kumon centre here which I was thinking of using when dd is older as she is turning into a little swotty smartypants who loves nothing more than to sit down with one of those pre school work books and plough her way through them.

I know some teachers are a bit funny about them but this may just be because they are encroaching onto their territory! I also know that they make great use of repitition and more old fashioned pratices ie sitting in rows.

What age have people started their children?

roisin Wed 16-Mar-05 13:49:08

A friend of mine teached Kumon, Cod - so she's a fan obviously
She did say that lots of children only do it for a year or so as it is expensive, but also to get the real benefit they and the whole family do have to keep up a very high level of motivation to do the 10 mins every day and attend class twice a week.

But it is focused very much on building on what the children CAN do, rather than what they can't. And just taking tiny steps each week.

This approach is confidence-building for both children who struggle and children who are particularly able. Though some do find the approach a bit boring and tedious.

Are you considering your boys doing it?

Cod Wed 16-Mar-05 14:52:47

Message withdrawn

Freckle Wed 16-Mar-05 16:12:35

it can be a chore getting them to do the work, but the fact that they go to the centre once a week can help to keep them on track. We were targetted once by an organisation called (I think) the Student Support Centre, which also does extra maths and English. It seemed to be a video based programme. The problem with that one is that the parent is the main motivator, etc. and I think this puts too much pressure on the parent.

With Kumon, you go to the centre once or twice a week, so that the child knows it has to get its work done or it has to explain to the tutor why it hasn't been done (at least that's what I tell my boys).

It's horses for courses, really. If it works and achieves what you want it to achieve, it's worth the money. If it doesn't, it's an expensive way to achieve nothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now