Advanced search

Not got a place.....

(17 Posts)
vivat Thu 10-Mar-05 13:32:25

In a total flap - hopefully one of you wonderful Mumsnetters can help ! My ds 4.5 is going into reception in September. We have just found out that we haven't got a place at our no 2 school and that we are number 16 on the waiting list (19 out of 30 places going to siblings). We don't find out about No 1 school for another three weeks - this school is notoriously difficult to get into although we are closer and i'm not holding out much hope.

The problem is that I was convinced we'd get into number 2 (and so was a friend of ours who's a governor) so haven't applied anywhere else. What do we do if we don't get into both. The closing dates for applications in teh borough was two weeks ago. Can I apply for other schools now (will they even send out application forms) or should i sit tight and wait for three weeks.

I feel such an idiot not having a back up plan but children who live much further away than us have always gone to No 2 school so I really didn't think it would be a problem.

Any advice gratefully received.

Miriam2 Thu 10-Mar-05 13:42:50

Try not to worry too much vivat. You'd be amazed how much movement there will be. Some lucky blighters get 2 offers and take their time turning down the one they don't want. Then others decide to go private etc. My ds was 35th to start with and although we had to wait till July to get to the top of the list (by which time I had no nails left!) he got in eventually.

Evesmama Thu 10-Mar-05 13:45:46

i am also panicking as dd is 2 soon and she would start reception on her 3rd birthday, however the school i wanted her to go to(which at the time was a minutes walk fromus) will prob put us to back of list as we've moved now..very very sad that we cant send them to a school of 'our' choice

Evesmama Thu 10-Mar-05 14:04:24

YESSS!!! got her a place at one of my top three! accepted straight away cos were just on outskirts of catchment area, and have also been provisionally accepted for one more..other one is ringing me back

vivat Thu 10-Mar-05 14:30:14

Does anyone else have any advice - have tried calling a couple of private schools but they have just laughed at me

Azure Thu 10-Mar-05 15:14:05

Vivat, sorry your DS hasn't got into school 2. How many classes are there in school 2? He may still get in, despite being on the list, as there is such movement at this age and others may turn down a place - especially if they're waiting to hear from school 1 as well. Have you telephoned the borough to ask what happens in the situation where DS gets into neither school (obviously hoping that doesn't happen), as he is entitled to an education. What are the dates for the appeal procedure?

You're in Hammersmith & Fulham, aren't you? We've applied to two schools in the borough for September entry but haven't heard anything yet. The applications were direct to the school, rather than to the borough (I don't know if that is how it normally works). Did you get a letter from the borough or from the school itself? It seems silly that you're hearing from the schools at different times.

Marina Thu 10-Mar-05 16:15:48

Well that was rude of them Vivat, I have to say. I wonder if they'll still be chuckling when they suffer the inevitable exodus at 7?
No sensible advice but heartfelt commiserations. The sibling factor can drive a coach and horses through catchment areas in any given year, we missed out on a place at our preferred state school for ds despite being assured we'd be fine, for just that reason.
Fingers crossed for you for no 1. You might find the waiting list at no 2 shrivels away to nothing when the no 1 results are out.

vivat Thu 10-Mar-05 22:46:26

thanks Marina - i almost feel like it's me back at school talking to some of these scary school secretaries !

Azure - yes we are in H&F and the system is bonkers - you apply direct to each school, none of whom talk to each other which leads to a total scramble for places about now (and very stressed mummies !). Unfortunately there is only one class of 30 in both schools.

I've hardly spent any time on Mumsnet recently but I see you're pregnant so huge congrats to you. Which schools have you applied to - CAT me if you like

kasef Fri 11-Mar-05 08:40:28

Hi all,

I wonder have any of you considered home education?

I took my eldest dd out of school because of bullying by the children and some teachers, she was also above a the level they could teach at her school, she was nearly nine when we took her out a year ago in february and was at comprehensive age learning, we are planning on facilitating all our childrens learning at home now. this means dd2 will not be going to nursery when the time comes and upcoming ds1 and any other subsequents children will not attend state school unless they decide they want to.

If you find this an interesting subject just type in home education uk in any search engine and you should come up with a couple of well known sites that will help your decision.

Azure Fri 11-Mar-05 10:46:50

Vivat, thanks for the congratulations. I'm 16 weeks now so fingers crossed it all goes well. We've applied for Sir John Betts and St Peter's, as well as Belmont in Chiswick (different borough). DS has, amazingly, got into a private school so we're fortunate that the pressure is off for us; however, with no. 2 coming along it's all getting a bit too expensive.

vivat Fri 11-Mar-05 21:48:44

JB our no 1 school - apparentl we'll hear in 3 weeks. Good luck to us both...


Azure Sun 20-Mar-05 21:15:50

Well, we didn't get in to either St Peter's or Belmont. We were offered another place at a private school, though.

sinclair Mon 21-Mar-05 22:16:34

What was your #2 Vivat? And where do you live? (Sorry I think you have posted all this before...) My neighbour got into John Betts 3 days before the start of term in January a year ago having been turned down initially in the March - so as someone has said up the thread things do move and if you are keen on a particular school it is worth staying in touch. I think the answer to your question is that you will be offered another place within the boro - the boro has the responsibility to educate your child once they are 5 - but of course it could be anywhere in the boro and will tend to be the bigger/less popular schools. Good luck with JB...

Catan Tue 22-Mar-05 09:12:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sinclair Tue 22-Mar-05 15:31:37

Sorry, re-reading realise that I might have implied that the bigger schools are not the ones you would necessarily choose - whereas of course Brackenbury (which has similar catchment to John Betts I think) is 2 form entry and was top of the value added table last year or the year before, and I know a lot of parents who are very happy with it.

Azure Mon 18-Apr-05 17:01:06

Vivat, any news on JB? I've just got back from a 2 week holiday and was surprised that I still hadn't heard. I gave them a call today and they said that offer letters have gone out, and they are waiting to hear back from those letters before they let anyone else know. I hope your DS managed to get a place.

Azure Wed 04-May-05 09:01:17

Got the letter yesterday - DS did not get into JB. That means he didn't get into any of the 3 state schools we applied to. We didn't apply to the one closest to us I must admit, but all the others are within walking distance. Just as well we have a back-up, otherwise I have no idea what we would do. Vivat, have you managed to get a place for your DS?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: