Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help! Question about Independent Schools' Entry Procedures...

(13 Posts)
ks Thu 10-Mar-05 13:29:04

Message withdrawn

ks Thu 10-Mar-05 13:46:51

Message withdrawn

pinotgrigio Thu 10-Mar-05 13:57:04

I'm afraid I don't know too much about it, but just wondered if the potentially negative feelings given by the head of the losing school could be offset by the fact that the other head will know this and also benefit himself from another pupil (either from the increase in state funding or additional fees if private). So could it balance out?

I'm sure you'd have to be a really bad parent (come in to school regularly waving fists) to get enough of a bad mark to prevent your child being offered a place. Heads must see all sorts of behaviour and I'm certain that not being on the PTA and dropping off home made scones to the school secretary each week is automatically deemed 'problem parent'. (oh god, or is it and I'm just blindly unaware )

marialuisa Thu 10-Mar-05 13:58:49

Think you're being a bit paranoid TBH! The head teacher's reports tend to focus on child's behaviour, any particular strengths (e.g. stalwart of the U-10 rugby team)and weaknesses and that's about it. Obviously HTs that know one another may comment privately on the parents but they wouldn't put it in writing, Freedom of Information and all that.

I had those reports done about me numerous times and they were quite often written by the form teacher and signed off by the head. I can't believe anywhere would reject a child on the basis of a head's report alone, it wouldn't make sense, although obviously some children are rejected because they don't seem quite up to scratch academically or the teachers don't think they'd fit in.

binkie Thu 10-Mar-05 14:00:57

No special experience but thought I might have a woolgather about this, it being lunchtime.

Would the new school's requirements be met by giving it copies of ds's ordinary reports from the last year or so of current school? If not, what more do they want out of it? Do they have a prescribed form? Have they explained what they are trying to get at?

Do you have an idea of how common (ie accepted practice) it is for schools to ask for a "reference" (basically) for an applicant? Could eg the info people at The Good Schools Guide tell you? The thought of having to get that sort of thing makes me feel a bit chill. What happens if people can't get one? Surely some schools will be obstructive or so chaotic it never gets done - you shouldn't be penalised for that. I see it's a double-bind - applicant only gets into new school if old school does keen report, old school won't produce keen report if wants to keep child.

mummytosteven Thu 10-Mar-05 14:01:15

agree that private schools are going to be more interested in getting the fees than if you are going to have a tablecloth ready at all times!

If he isn't accepted, would you necessarily know that it was the report that did it, rather than other factors?

in your neck of the woods, I would imagine that heads were used to kids being transferred to private prep schools and would just have to live with it.

pinotgrigio Thu 10-Mar-05 14:01:58

Ah. Just seen the title and it is for an independent. In my experience (and I do have experience of this!!) they are desperate for the fees.

In your interview just gush enthusiastically about the school, how much you and your family want to participate etc. Ideally have a relative who attended . If church school be good church goer. Make sure your son's uniform is immaculate. It will be a doddle.

Don't panic if your son doesn't pass - if he doesn't pass then it's not the right school for him.

ks Thu 10-Mar-05 14:06:08

Message withdrawn

marialuisa Thu 10-Mar-05 14:07:42

KS-recently found one from when I transferred schools at a similar age to your DS. Was less than an A4 page and mentioned that I was academically outstanding (peaked early) but that my artistic skills were well behind the norm for my age group and that I coped well with a "difficult home life".

ks Thu 10-Mar-05 14:07:57

Message withdrawn

pinotgrigio Thu 10-Mar-05 14:20:37

KS - Sounds like you'll be fine!! Cakes! How can you possibly be rejected?

Make sure you take in some more for the school secretary - I use this tactic to keep my local GP's receptionist sweet.

Seriously too, you have a legitimate reason for moving DS, and for complaints. I really can't see why you should be turned down on that basis.

When do you think you'll know?

Cam Thu 10-Mar-05 14:22:55

ks, while the new school probably will seek some sort of "academic report" I also know for a fact that all private schools have an absolute rule to contact the previous school in case you owe fees! Their main interest in accepting a new pupil is whether the parents are good or bad payers!

ks Thu 10-Mar-05 14:30:58

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now