Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what does this sound like?and should i speak to school or leave?

(11 Posts)
Cheesesarnie Thu 23-Oct-08 12:32:11

dd recently had a dyslexic test without me even knowing till results came back(not dyslexic so all good).but yesterday dd came home saying she was taken out of class to go and do maths with 'an assistant not from school(her words)'she had to do lots of different types of maths and she said the 'assistant' was making notes on her computer.

do you think theyve given her a dyslexic test for maths(if theyre is a thing-theyre is isnt there?).if so angry at not being told again-and not knowing theyve worries about her maths.

i know i should just go in and ask at end of school but just wanted mn views.

SqueakyPop Thu 23-Oct-08 12:35:08

Dyscalculia is the problem with numbers.

You don't generally find out when they are doing screening or baseline tests. The point is not to let the child know they are about to do them and consequently worry about them.

The maths test could have been a student doing a research project.

Cheesesarnie Thu 23-Oct-08 12:36:23

but surely i should know theyve worries about her maths though?

and if student-why just dd?

Cheesesarnie Thu 23-Oct-08 12:36:53

i do love the word Dyscalculia though grin

SqueakyPop Thu 23-Oct-08 12:37:49

If they were marginally worried, what would be the point in worrying you until they had the final results?

A student could be doing all sorts of sampling for research. Your DD won't really know about what is going on with other pupils.

JLo2 Thu 23-Oct-08 13:41:51

I agree that there could be an innocent explanation, but if someone from outside school comes to our school to work or even just observe particular children we have to have parents permission. This would definitely include a student doing research if that student was focussing on a particular child/children.
I don't agree that you shouldn't have to worry until they have the final results, you should have been told if they have any concerns.
I would go and ask who this person was, without being confrontational or angry, but just in the 'dd was saying...I was just wondering who it was..' kind of way.

SqueakyPop Thu 23-Oct-08 13:50:54

Seriously JLo?

Do schools really contact parents before taking on individual PGCE and Masters students, or even just prospective students having a teaching taster?

I have never heard of such a thing.

Cheesesarnie Thu 23-Oct-08 14:01:54

ahhh i replied before mn went down.cant remember what i said.

i'll ask school

whatalife Thu 23-Oct-08 15:53:48

Could your DD be at the gifted end of the spectrum and she was being tested for that? That happened to me in Year 2 at primary and I recall being asked to read out words from a Grade 7 spelling list to see if I could pronounce them! I was super geeky at reading and spelling so I think they were just sussing me out, and nothing changed so I guess I was not deemed gifted..... grin

If it were me I would have wanted to know what tests were being conducted on my kids!

JLo2 Thu 23-Oct-08 17:18:50

SqueakyPop - We don't usually get permission from parents if there is a student teacher in the class, but any student using an individual child or small group of children for research (such as a case study) would have to ask the parents for permission.

I can also remember having to do this in another school when I was doing my Masters degree and was using a small group children for some research for my dissertation.

Cheesesarnie Fri 24-Oct-08 10:18:16

no i doubt it(ment in nicest possible way).ds1 has recently been diagnosed as dyslexic but is very good with numbers.dd is bit behind-but catching up very quickly with reading,not so great with writting but about average with numbers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now