Talk

Advanced search

SOme come and tell me aboit IBS.....

(9 Posts)
idobelieveinghosts Tue 21-Oct-08 21:22:54

DD has to decide whether to do A levels or IBS for next year (i think its IBS anyway) blush.

We have heard IBS is a lot more work, its only just become available here.So starting in Sept 09.

SqueakyPop Tue 21-Oct-08 21:24:25

IBS = irritable bowel syndrom

IB = international baccalaureat (and specifically, IB diploma).

I think you have to look at what DD wants to do at university and where.

SqueakyPop Tue 21-Oct-08 21:24:27

IBS = irritable bowel syndrom

IB = international baccalaureat (and specifically, IB diploma).

I think you have to look at what DD wants to do at university and where.

idobelieveinghosts Tue 21-Oct-08 21:25:48

oh ok so no 's' on the end...lol blush

she wants to be a doctor and prob go to uni in Australia.

idobelieveinghosts Tue 21-Oct-08 21:26:40

..and perhaps one day diagnose.treat IBS

shergar Wed 22-Oct-08 14:05:42

IB is more highly thought of by University admissions, but for most UK medical schools there is an entrance exam anyway, so not that vital. I can't speak for the Australian medical school system, and I think you might be better contacting some of them.

bagsforlife Wed 22-Oct-08 15:13:28

Definitely contact the Australian medical schools before embarking on it. However, am pretty sure they would accept the IB.

The IB covers more subjects than the 4 A levels in single subjects you daughter would be doing.

My nephew is doing it in Germany and it means he can't give up the subjects he dislikes and there is a very big workload. But if your DD wants to do medicine she is going to have that anyway with the subjects she will have to do at A level to get the prerequisite 3 As! There is also a pre-admission test pupils have to take whilst applying to most, if not all, I am not sure,medical schools called the BMAT.

idobelieveinghosts Thu 23-Oct-08 12:27:32

Right ok, thanks for your help, she and her dad went to an open evening and got a bit more info on it. From Sept 09 it will be the schools first year of doing IB. They have said it's a lot more work.

She is very good with her work, she just got GCSE a's for her chemistry, biology and physics a year early..and resitting module 5 of her maths as she was 1 point away from a B mark for that one.

Will find out about the australiam uni's, see what they accept.

Thanks.

titchy Thu 23-Oct-08 12:31:24

Check the fees for Aussie unis. If she counts as overseas they'll be extortionate...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now