Talk

Advanced search

errrr..help please.....

(13 Posts)
Dad12 Tue 21-Oct-08 12:51:27

Hello mums..I'm a dad suddenly in a panic about my boys education. We live in Mitcham but I work in Wimbledon. He's going to be 4 in Jan and I'm not too sure how it all works. I've got two local primaries but i'm not sure if they are right. He's going with me to church pretty regularly(Catholic)but the school I like is a CofE. someone said you can apply for a 'foundation' place? Any tips or a brief run through of what to do would be so appreciated....

whispywhisp Tue 21-Oct-08 13:37:04

I have absolutely no idea but I'm going to bump this for you in the hope there is someone out there on MN who may know! Good luck....

Dad12 Tue 21-Oct-08 13:45:03

Thanks Whispywhisp....what does bump mean?

whispywhisp Tue 21-Oct-08 13:50:45

It means that if you keep bumping the thread it'll stay within the threads that have had the most recent posts on them, iykwim! I'll pop back later and bump it again but its always worth you just typing 'bump' on a post and adding it to your thread to keep it current...otherwise it could get lost in all the other threads. I found this in the section 'unanswered threads' where it could sit for hours before someone chooses to take a look..or be nosey...like me!

whispywhisp Tue 21-Oct-08 13:51:50

...and if it stays within the threads with the most recent posts on it it has a greater chance of being read by other MNrs.

UnfortunatelyMurderedMe Tue 21-Oct-08 13:51:54

Have you looked at the schools admission criteria?
Look on the website of the school, or ring and ask.

whispywhisp Tue 21-Oct-08 13:52:19

See! You got a reply! Good luck. smile

Sari Tue 21-Oct-08 13:52:53

Have a look at Merton council's website. They have a booklet about starting school in Merton with lists of the schools available, dates for the application process, criteria for each school etc. If you know which schools are near you and which you are interested in you can look at Ofsted reports and then arrange visits to get more of an idea what is around. If he is going to be 4 you probably need to get a bit of a move on.

Dad12 Tue 21-Oct-08 14:41:23

Thanks for being nosy whispywhisp!

you are right Sari..I need to get a move on...(looking for the 'guilty/struggling' smiley face)

I've been looking at the ofsted reports for my local schools..they are often up to 4 years old...

Mum's seem to have a sectet network to discuss all this. I thought about hanging around outside schools trying to have a chat and find out stuff....of course I'd be arrested and that would be right....

aideesmum Tue 21-Oct-08 14:52:03

My ds will be 4 in Feb 09 and we have to apply for a school place in November this year. He will start full time Sept 09.
Check your council website as it varies by region when you can start applying.
Make appointments with these schools now to visit ASAP. You will know after the visits which one is best for your ds.
Hope all goes well x

Wheelybug Tue 21-Oct-08 15:02:09

Merton's last application date is 5 December. There's loads of info on the merton website.

Wheelybug Tue 21-Oct-08 15:03:27

Ring the church school and ask about their admissions policy - you will probably get some extra points for being a church go-er esp if its a local church even if its not the same denomination.

slummymomma Wed 29-Oct-08 12:52:29

Not sure which Wimbledon schools you are looking at but my children are at Holy Trinity. In previous years you have been able to apply for a 'Foundation' place if you attend any Christian church. This includes the Catholic churches. The parish churches (Holy Trinity and Christchurch) get priority but after those applicants have got places Catholics are allocated places. This was the admissions policy last year but I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed. I think the other CofE schools in the borough use similar policies.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: