Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Suddenly ds seems to be really nearly reading 'properly'...

(12 Posts)
ks Mon 07-Mar-05 11:16:28

Message withdrawn

lisalisa Mon 07-Mar-05 11:20:20

Message withdrawn

tarantula Mon 07-Mar-05 11:21:13

yeah dss was like that at about the same age. He seemed to go from not reading at all to reading in the space of a fortnight (ie between visits to us). I used to read to him alot and it was just so sudden as one week I had to read a book to him and then the next time he came round he read it to me and was pointing to poster etc and reading them. It was like it all just clicked into place.

ks Mon 07-Mar-05 11:25:00

Message withdrawn

LIZS Mon 07-Mar-05 11:29:56

I'm so pleased for you and your ds, ks. It has been such a long time coming for you all and will benefit him in so many ways. Well done ks'ds !!

tarantula Mon 07-Mar-05 11:30:51

Its so brillaint when it happens isnt it. It opens up a whole new world. well done to your ds. Just beware that hell now be able to read everything you are chatting about on MN

ks Mon 07-Mar-05 11:47:32

Message withdrawn

ks Mon 07-Mar-05 11:49:06

Message withdrawn

roisin Mon 07-Mar-05 13:32:02

Fabulous news ks - it is so exciting isn't it? I love sharing in the experience when a child suddenly grasps a concept in reading (or anything else for that matter) and suddenly makes great progress. It doesn't matter what age they are, it still makes me feel inspired.

Last year I regularly listened to readers in yr3 and there was a gorgeous little boy who overcame a reading hurdle during that year. At the beginning of the year he was really, really struggling by the end of the year he was a competent and enthusiastic reader. I was so proud of his achievement.

Caligula Mon 07-Mar-05 13:33:37

Congratulations KS, I can't wait to get there!

singersgirl Mon 07-Mar-05 16:58:25

Congratulations! It's wonderful and exciting to see how suddenly it all fits together for them...And then you can't remember how it didn't! Well done to DS!

tigermoth Thu 10-Mar-05 07:10:20

congratulations to your son, KS, and to you for all your efforts in helping him get to this point. As he's worked so hard to get there you must be so proud of him.

FYI, yes, I remember my oldest son having quite a few reading leaps - learning to sound out words, then reading and enjoying more and more complex books. One minute he was he was complaining about having to read 5 pages in a simple-ish school reading book and the next he was wolfing down whole chapters of Harry Potter.

What's so lovely to see is the reader's growing confidence in their reading ability. It sounds like your son now feels he can read strange words, so he does it! Am so pleased for you both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now