Advanced search

What's a 3 dimentional egg shape called please? For dd2 to get a merit!

(14 Posts)
Orinoco Wed 15-Oct-08 17:55:51

Message withdrawn

nell12 Wed 15-Oct-08 17:57:40


Raindog Wed 15-Oct-08 17:57:54

oval? ovoid?

Raindog Wed 15-Oct-08 17:58:41

From Wikipedia:
In common speech 'oval' means a shape rather like an egg or an ellipse, and it may be two-dimensional or three-dimensional.

fruitful Wed 15-Oct-08 17:59:01

Surely a 3D egg-shape is an egg?

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 15-Oct-08 17:59:34

lol I was about to say egg too

PortAndDemon Wed 15-Oct-08 18:00:47

Or a spheroid (means "a bit like a sphere, but not exactly"). A spheroid is to a sphere as a cuboid is to a cube (if they've covered cuboids, that should make more sense to her).

Orinoco Wed 15-Oct-08 18:01:51

Message withdrawn

spammythevampireslayer Wed 15-Oct-08 18:01:53

I would have also said ovoid.

MrVibrating Wed 15-Oct-08 19:55:56


Sphereoid is a technical term and it does not mean 'a bit like a sphere'. It means the surface obtained by rotating an ellipse. Sphereoids don't have one pointy end and one round end (although they can have two pointy ends like a rugby ball). They are a special case of ellipsoid.

Ellipsoids in general cannot be obtained by rotating any 2-dimensional curve: think of a rugby ball that has been sat on, or an orange squeezed at the sides.

That just leaves ovoid, which is an adjective meaning 'egg-shaped'. However, this can refer to both a 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional egg shape.

Sorry to be so pedantic, and for year 1 all this is way over the top, but ellipsoid and spheroid are simply wrong. If the teacher says something different send them round here for an argument grin.

Orinoco Wed 15-Oct-08 20:33:22

Message withdrawn

myredcardigan Wed 15-Oct-08 20:44:20

Ovoid would be technically correct but I would be telling a Y1 child that a 3D egg shape was an egg. I would never describe a 2Dshape as an egg because that would confuse them as they would be visualing a 3Dshape if that makes sense.

Orinoco Wed 15-Oct-08 21:02:03

Message withdrawn

shergar Fri 17-Oct-08 10:56:02

Definitely ovoid for the 3-dimensional shape.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: