My dd is in Year 6 and is dreading her SATS - boohoo

MingMingtheWonderPet Tue 14-Oct-08 18:39:04

cool ,thanks

Flamesparrow Tue 14-Oct-08 18:49:02

hurrah

Heated Tue 14-Oct-08 20:09:24

dizzy, lovely possibilities instead for my year 9 smile

ravenAK Tue 14-Oct-08 22:02:18

<is currently doing shirt over head victory laps, & has been since finding out the news at 4pm>

Seriously. I teach secondary English. This is the best news ever. grin

(& I'm going to enjoy it, at least until we find out what fresh hell is replacing it!)

hellywobs Wed 15-Oct-08 09:12:07

Why is your ds dreading her SATS? They have no meaning for the kids - they're purely for the league table place. Her secondary school should make their own assessment when she moves up.

Isn't APP replacing it?

hellywobs Wed 15-Oct-08 09:12:20

I meant dd of course!

FimboGotAxed Wed 15-Oct-08 09:21:52

Hellywobs - one of the teachers at dd's school makes a big thing of it. She knows her maths but is not quick enough for the teacher and he keeps telling her she can't be like that for her SATS.

He is the deputy head too.

amicissima Wed 15-Oct-08 09:29:03

OK, so now when your kids go into secondary school in year 7 you know how they achieved after 7 years of primary school. (SATs may not be perfect, but they give a rough idea of how a DC is doing compared to the rest of the country.)

The next time you get an objective assessment is five years later.
You'd better hope their teachers' subjective assessments are accurate or you could get a big surprise at GCSE.

ravenAK Wed 15-Oct-08 20:55:43

Subjective? <hollow laughter>

Last time we had an APP meeting, it took 6 of us an hour to assess 3 books. The process is, erm, rigorous.

Also, I personally know at least one English SATs examiner who was pressganged into doing it despite having no English-specific qualifications or training whatsoever, & who freely admits he hadn't the faintest idea what he was supposed to be assessing. (He's a Science teacher).

We've sent our entire set of English papers back to be re-marked. They were a shambles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now