Talk

Advanced search

Two weeks left until the holidays and we're all shattered already

(18 Posts)
roisin Sun 12-Oct-08 16:52:31

We went out this afternoon to an RSPB place and had a fab time, and both the boys and I all fell asleep in the car on the way home!

ds1 has evening activities (concerts, lectures, etc) on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week.
Then next week dh is away all week sad

I can see we are going to be on our kness by the holidays.

twinsetandpearls Sun 12-Oct-08 16:53:53

I know the feeling!

SqueakyPop Sun 12-Oct-08 16:56:07

I have one week to go and then two weeks off

It has gone so fast. I still feel that I am in start of term mode.

WideWebWitch Sun 12-Oct-08 16:59:01

Did you read The Guardian yesterday and those families with all the activities? It made me knackered just READING it, here - I just think it sounds MAD, where is the downtime? When I read tstuff like that I thank goodness neither of mine do any afterschool stuff, it means we do actually have time to relax and do nothing.

Sympathy roisin and everyone.

ChipButty Sun 12-Oct-08 16:59:52

I am exhauseted - have just spent the afternoon preparing for open nights next week. Roll on half term! x

Blandmum Sun 12-Oct-08 17:01:19

I've done an open evening, and a parents evening in the last 2 weeks.

I've spent 3 hours planning next weeks lessons today and I'm very grumpy as a result

One week to go for me, and then I have 2 wonderful weeks off!

roisin Sun 12-Oct-08 17:02:44

Yes I did WWW., We normally do very few regular activities during term time: by the time we get homework done and everyone fed we are just ready to crash out and chill! But ds1 has joined the boys' choir at school, which is fab, and it's their first concert on Wednesday. Then Thursday there's a lecture on CERN, which he is desperate to go to.

My job is doing cover in secondary, so this stage of term tends to be extremely busy for my job too!

roisin Sun 12-Oct-08 17:04:05

envy of those people with two weeks off now. I think 2 weeks at this time of year is such a good idea as it's a long slog til Christmas.

WideWebWitch Sun 12-Oct-08 17:06:03

I potentially have 2 MONTHS off after the end of October, I am so looking forward to being around and not being phased by demands for school play outfits/money for pizza making/etc etc etc

CERN lecture sounds interesting. Hey roisin, can you lift share with anyone so you take theirs to one thing and they take yours to another?

SqueakyPop Sun 12-Oct-08 17:09:15

We had our open day yesterday, and it is one of those things that allows us to have a 2-week half-term.

The two-week half-term is absolute luxury. Instead of catching up marking and planning, you actually get time to do your own thing. I have loads of things to do (hair, teeth, dog to groomers etc.). But will also have a couple of lunches with my friends who SAH.

roisin Sun 12-Oct-08 17:11:08

Wednesday he is going straight after school and gets back at 8pm. He will just get the bus back or a lift with a mate if he can negotiate one, so that doesn't affect me: just him!

On Thursday I don't think any of his mates are sufficiently nerdy/geeky to go. But it will be either all of us (me, ds1 and ds2) or none; depending on how tired we all are. I just don't want them to get utterly exhausted.

compo Sun 12-Oct-08 17:11:39

www - that article in the guardian is mad isn't it!!
We don't have any activities at the weekends because I know ds (and later dd) would rather go to all the parties they get invited to these days

roisin Sun 12-Oct-08 17:14:59

The lectures are run by the local engineering society. We went to one on the sun by someone from Cambridge. (We really are out in the sticks, so it's a great opportunity to be able to get to these sort of things.) I understood about 10%, ds1 a bit more than me, ds2 a bit less than me. But they both loved it! ds1 says he understood 20% at the time, but he's come back and done some more reading and internet research and now understands 40% of it! grin hmm

janeite Sun 12-Oct-08 17:17:05

I'm very jealous of those of you with two weeks off at half term. We break up on the 23rd for a week but I seem to have been ill or tired most of this term so far; not enough to be in bed, just generally a bit groggy, flu-ish etc.

I'm just sitting here trying to find us a hotel somewhere for a couple of days. Dp is doing the Birmingham half marathon, so it would be nice to have a few days relaxing after that (as I'm sure that cheering him on will be totally exhausting for me and the dds!).

twinsetandpearls Sun 12-Oct-08 17:30:15

DD has two weeks off as her school is moving, I only have one. Although dd is going away for her second week so it will feel like a break for us too.

We are an acitivity heavy family but dd just ha boundless energy and it is either lots of activities or building her a wheel in the garden to run in.

findtheriver Sun 12-Oct-08 22:52:43

Two week half term holidays... blimey! Some schools seem to be on holiday nearly as much as they're in lessons.

unknownrebelbang Sun 12-Oct-08 23:15:23

This has been a long half-term hasn't it?

I've only got this week to work before I've got a break (cockup on the holidays) but the boys have another two.

Mine do a fair amount of after-school stuff - their choice - nowhere near the amount in that article, but it's surprising how things start off small and then get out of control and start to clash.

SqueakyPop Mon 13-Oct-08 07:22:23

work hard:play hard, river

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now