Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I don't understand how some teachers can be so dim

(18 Posts)
Reallytired Fri 10-Oct-08 22:24:46

The school where I work had one teacher who decided to stick a label with her user name and password to her desk where all the kids can see it.

Another teacher gave out her username and password to a parent helper. It was lucky that the parent helper was a nice person and not a totally stickybeak. If the parent had chosen she could have potentially read other children's IEPs or other confidental documents.

To be a teacher you need a degree and many teachers have higher qualifications. So how can people are who are so bright lack so much sense.

ingles2 Fri 10-Oct-08 22:31:33

I saw this the other day too RT...
I reckon it's because they live day to day in an alternative world where there is no threat and everything is safe and secure, so they forget.

RustyBear Fri 10-Oct-08 22:33:49

It's probably because it's to do with computers - some people seem to actually be proud of 'not being a computer person' - even if it's really just common sense.
Last year we had a teacher who kept putting her USB lead in the network port & then complaining she couldn't use the whiteboard. OK, fair enough to get it wrong at first,but even after I put a sticker by the right port she still got it wrong....

Feenie Fri 10-Oct-08 22:34:51

Are you sure it wasn't just her internet username and password? I do this for TAs and parent helpers - it wouldn't, however, give them access to our network with shared documents.

In fact, do you work in my classroom???!! grin

Lilymaid Fri 10-Oct-08 22:35:37

They are probably married to the people who keep losing computer disks with all our personal information on them or leave files on the train with secret intelligence about Al Qaeda.
It isn't just teachers who are dim.

pointygravedogger Fri 10-Oct-08 22:36:43

was it a primary teacher?

wonderstuff Fri 10-Oct-08 22:43:43

I think lots of clever people lack common sense
Internet access is plausable.. heard of one school where some bright pupils did a survey to get to know teachers better, favorite cartoons, childrens names etc. They then worked out almost every teachers computer password!

Feenie Fri 10-Oct-08 22:45:15

Ours are randomly generated, I am lucky if I remember it, no-one else ever would!

Reallytired Fri 10-Oct-08 22:47:26

No it was definately her network password. We have visitor accounts for parent helpers and TAs have their own network accounts. Once you are logged on you don't need to enter any passwords to get the internet.

"I reckon it's because they live day to day in an alternative world where there is no threat and everything is safe and secure"

Prehaps you are right. However you would have thought that after 30 years of teaching a teacher would know that teenagers are not to be trusted.

I suppose that these people have never been outside education.

pointygravedogger Fri 10-Oct-08 22:51:53

seconday then?

pointygravedogger Fri 10-Oct-08 22:52:37

"I reckon it's because they live day to day in an alternative world where there is no threat and everything is safe and secure"

I have no idea what that means. It is bollocks

ingles2 Fri 10-Oct-08 22:55:30

do you think pointy?
I couldn't come up with another explanation. This reception / yr1 teacher had all her valuables on view. you wouldn't do it anywhere else surely.What I meant was in that classroom there was no risk. (I didn't mean it nastily btw)

pointygravedogger Fri 10-Oct-08 22:57:52

I would have had my valuables on vie won my desk in all my other jobs far more readily than having them on view in a classroom. Very likely it would go missin gin a classroom.

Some teachers are just zoomers.

Reallytired Sat 11-Oct-08 10:20:13

I know what ingles2 means. I work in a secondary MLD school, which is something different again to either a mainstream primary or a mainstream secondary.

The classes are very small and everyone knows everyone. Its a nice community and think people do get lulled into a false sense of security. Ie. the child with major special needs can't possibly get up to mischief.

LadyBabo Sat 11-Oct-08 14:28:36

Recently did a college course with a very nice lady who was a teacher.

She never brought a pen.
She turned up late.
She missed the occasional class, without forewarning the tutor.
She rang me up the night before the exam asking me exam questions.

! Hope shes not par for the course!

Reallytired Sat 11-Oct-08 14:33:07

No, the teachers work with are nothing like you describe LadyBabo. They are hard working, concienous and very professional.

Prehaps because they work so hard, they are too tired to apply basic common sense. They just need to be protected from their own stupidity.

pointygravedogger Sat 11-Oct-08 16:17:37

maybe, just maybe, that was her own personality and nothing to do with her job.

Hulababy Sun 12-Oct-08 17:15:46

LadyBabo - no, just sounds like a one off, not at all like the teachers I have known.

Some people just don't think, that's all. Happens in every profession. Especially when confronted with computer stuff. Passwords can be hard to remember, and in some work places they change really often. Maybe they can't remember it and didn't think about thwere they put it and who might see it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now