Talk

Advanced search

do they learn times tables by chanting still?

(10 Posts)
Cod Fri 04-Mar-05 08:29:44

Message withdrawn

soapbox Fri 04-Mar-05 08:32:59

Cod - DD's been doing them this year and seems to have learned them by 'counting in' different numbers. So started in Y1 counting 2,4,6,8... then 5,10,15... Now this year 3,6,9... 4,8,12...

Once they are reasonably proficient at the counting in different bases they then add on the 2*3 = 6 etc etc.

I don't think they have ever chanted in the way we would have done as children. Not least because the whole class is at completely different levels in maths and don't seem to do much whole class work in this subject!

Miaou Fri 04-Mar-05 08:33:51

My kids do chanting, clapping their hands at the same time to create a rhythm. works really well if you ask me.

soapbox Fri 04-Mar-05 08:33:57

We also only used to go up to x * 12, they go up to x*15 - which taxes my brain sometimes

roisin Fri 04-Mar-05 08:38:43

Cod at our school they do lots of counting in 2s, counting in 3s etc. in yr1. But then in yr2 they do start chanting tables x2, x5 and x10. (I only know this because ds1's yr2 report said he often declined to join in!) And progressing in yr3. They are expected to learn them by rote.

Tbh ds1 hasn't really got this yet. He can 'work them out' so quickly he doesn't see the point of learning them by rote.

I hope he picks them up at school soon, otherwise we are going to have to start working on them at home, which doesn't really appeal

Miaou Fri 04-Mar-05 08:54:34

At dd1's old school, they used to recite the tables (2 nothings are nothing, 2 ones are two etc), and be timed doing them. They had a chart called "beat the teacher" to see if they could do it faster than the teacher. However, this soon got changed to "Beat dd1"! She thrives on this style of learning, obviously!

lunavix Fri 04-Mar-05 08:56:59

They go up to *15????

Dear god

I only just managed up to *12! What are they going to be doing by the time ds goes to school, *18??

Cod Fri 04-Mar-05 09:13:37

Message withdrawn

Cod Fri 04-Mar-05 09:14:24

Message withdrawn

Cam Fri 04-Mar-05 11:06:47

At dd's school they go up to x10, this makes sense to me now that we have decimilisation. Surely up to x12 was because of old money?
Anyway, dd's class don't seem to chant in the way we did (and boy did we - I have all the times tables fixed in my head forever) but IMO it is the only way to learn them. We have a tape in the car and I randomly ask her what's x times x? She is confident in 2,3,4,5,6,7 and 10 but is still learning 8 and 9 (year 3).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now