Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ancient greek & latin - websites?

(16 Posts)
cupsoftea Thu 09-Oct-08 09:56:11

Would be grateful for recommendations of websites for learning ancient greek & latin. My dd will start both soon and would like her to have a list of sites to check out in her own time. Thanks xx

QuintessenceOfFrankenShadow Thu 09-Oct-08 10:05:06

How old is your dd? I am sure her tutor/teacher will be able to provide a good list.

You could always contact The Society for the promotion of hellenic studies

VintageGardenia Thu 09-Oct-08 10:08:43

I quite like this from the National Archives but depends on what her "learning style" is too. Sorry, it's Latin btw.

VintageGardenia Thu 09-Oct-08 10:11:54

Also the Telegraph ran a Latin course a couple of years ago, I'll have a rummage online and see if I can find it. And there's a great book called Amo, Amas, Amat and all that here it is but this would prob only suit if she is a bit older, don't know if you are talking tot or teen.

cory Thu 09-Oct-08 10:12:02

When she gets more proficient, there is a Finnish radio station who do an online news broadcast in Latin. Can't remember the website address but you'll find it if you google Nuntii latini.

QuintessenceOfFrankenShadow Thu 09-Oct-08 10:13:51

It is a bit difficult to recommend anything, without knowing her age. Different if it is a child as opposed to an adult, I reckon.

Anyway, looks like you are in good hands, It has been a good number of years since I studied ancient greek and latin.

madamy Thu 09-Oct-08 10:16:02

Usborne do a couple of great latin books this one has internet links - you need to put in the page number once you have the book and it will link you to some websites. Try putting page 16 in as an example.
They also publish a couple of others eg first 1000 words in latin, and books about ancient greeks - with internet links too.

cupsoftea Thu 09-Oct-08 10:17:56

She'll be 12 when she starts Latin & the year after ancient greek (as an intro & mainly to show how greek has come into other langs). She wants to know some more on this but it's years since I did Latin (& was rubbish in anycase) & I only did classics in translation.

cupsoftea Thu 09-Oct-08 10:21:16

thanks for the super info!! - I'm going to add it to her web favourites so she can have a look when she wants. We spoke yesterday about words that come from greek & she was impressed that there are so many words that orginate from this.

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 09-Oct-08 10:21:22

Minimus

Aimed at slightly younger children but fun for beginners nonetheless.

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 09-Oct-08 10:22:49

She also might want to subscribe to Omnibus - link at bottom of JACT site here

VintageGardenia Thu 09-Oct-08 10:24:33

Oh dear my National Archives is going to look a bit dry compared to Latin mice, etc. It's good though! (Promise!)

cupsoftea Thu 09-Oct-08 10:28:07

thanks for the wonderful resources xxx am going to get her some books as well. What great websites.

Marina Thu 09-Oct-08 10:31:45

Well, to be honest, you'll get more information from books that you buy. IMHO free quality learning resources on Latin and Greek on the web are few and far between. If she is taking the Cambridge Latin course (highly probable) she will have all that she needs in the text books. Just buy her a decent dictionary, encourage her to read I Claudius, Tacitus' Annals of Rome and some Rosemary Sutcliff (am guessing she has already worked her way through Caroline Lawrence's Roman Mysteries if she is keen on classics).

You might find some useful background info here and here although the intute site is aimed at undergraduates.

I run a Latin Club for older children in a primary school and we use the Minimus Programme, which is also published by CUP. It is intended as a precursor to the Cambridge Latin Course, though.
What Minimus do offer is two lovely sets of minibooks which are fun to translate with some Latin knowledge - perfect for secondary school beginners. The minibooks are not published by CUP, you have to order them direct from the Minimus team
As well as Minimus, I am also using this excellent book with my more able and enthuasiastic club members.

cupsoftea Thu 09-Oct-08 10:39:08

Not read the roman mysteries but will check as reads loads from schol library as well. She's read a bit on greek mythology but don't remember the book she has. Super tips

floaty Thu 09-Oct-08 10:40:34

My ds uses the Cambridge Latin course online which is good I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now