Talk

Advanced search

Do private prep schools still follow the National Curriculum?

(18 Posts)
littlelapin Mon 06-Oct-08 09:47:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlelapin Mon 06-Oct-08 09:53:34

gameboy Mon 06-Oct-08 09:59:02

It depends. It's a key question to ask when you're visiting.

Most of the ones I know follow the same literacy guidelines and many use the same reading schemes (e.g. phonics) however I remember visiting a school when DS1 was 4 and being less than impressed by a school that seemed to have a hotch potch of really old reading books, including a whole load of 'Letterland' ones which, at the time, seemed to be being phased out. (Having said that, they could well have been following the same NC?)

Think some senior schools teach International Baccalaureate rather than NC?

FluffyMummy123 Mon 06-Oct-08 09:59:44

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Mon 06-Oct-08 09:59:57

Message withdrawn

littlelapin Mon 06-Oct-08 10:01:54

stealthsquiggle Mon 06-Oct-08 10:09:23

IME - they use the NC as kind of a 'guideline'. Probably quite a good target for flogging books, as they tend to own multiple reading schemes and 'pick and choose' between them as it suits individual children.

And there is the independent schools inspectorate, whose website escapes me right now.

littlelapin Mon 06-Oct-08 10:16:06

EachPeachPearMum Mon 06-Oct-08 12:46:41

They may not follow it to the letter, but all teachers will understand the levels and terminology, I'm sure.

jelliebelly Mon 06-Oct-08 12:49:08

They also generally have pretty well stocked libraries which I presume would always need books in them grin

EachPeachPearMum Mon 06-Oct-08 13:30:42

btw the pre-prep school we viewed at the weekend had loads of usborne books in their classrooms, and the library wink

littlelapin Mon 06-Oct-08 15:55:12

LIZS Mon 06-Oct-08 16:04:03

Ours doesn't beyond Foundation stage (so still qualifies for LEA grant and is Ofsted inspected) but we often have Usborne book fairs etc

littlelapin Mon 06-Oct-08 16:05:23

EachPeachPearMum Mon 06-Oct-08 16:22:21

0-5yo- now called EYFS- early years foundation stage

Owningup Mon 06-Oct-08 16:26:36

Independent schools are inspected by the indpendent schools inspectorate

For the most part they don't do sats and don't follow the national curriculum

This means the children get to learn plenty of stuff

littlelapin Mon 06-Oct-08 17:13:47

SqueakyPop Mon 06-Oct-08 21:10:01

They don't have to follow the NC. What their end goal is is to get their kids into the right senior schools for them. This means they need to prepare them for various 11+ and Common Entrance and Scholarship exams.

There is nothing wrong with the NC, just how some schools choose to apply it, especially with respect to KS2 testing. Most teachers are trained to follow the NC. Therefore, there will be a lot of NC in independent schools, but they can pick and choose what to do, and what to do on top.

Independent schools are inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate. If they receive state money, ie in foundation stage, they will also be subject to Ofsted inspections. They can also be inspected by the local authority if they have boarders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now