Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

MAINSTREAM SPECIAL NEEDS- 'TRANSITION TO SECONDARY SCHOOL'....???? STATEMENTING????

(3 Posts)
MrsFROSTgetful Tue 01-Mar-05 13:16:01

Have decide that as my son is 'coping well at primary'...so the HEAD said yesterday.....AND that ds1 moves to secondary school in September....

that I have to think about his future and how unless secondary can promise certain strategies/arrangements will be available from DAY1...that i have to request a Statutory Assessment....

the secondary school say he will get extra 'transition' practice etc..extra school visits etc... to help- but that he will have to start 'as any other unstatemented child' and that after a few weeks it will be reviewe as to how he manages etc.

He has ADHD/AS and i feel that i should 'start something' now so that if he struggles /... his needs can be addressed sooner.

IS THERE SUCH THING FOR 'BORDERLINE' HIGH FUNCTIONING AUTISTIC KIDS...WHERE SOMETHING LIKE A STATEMENT GETS PROVIDED 'JUST ' FOR TRANSITION ETC...AND THEN PROPERLY REVIEWED AFTER THE FIRST FEW MONTHS.

coppertop Tue 01-Mar-05 13:31:50

At ds1's primary school they have a settling-in fund which they use to pay for extra help during the settling-in period. The Ed Psych explained that the amount of extra help needed is reviewed after a few weeks and then increased/reduced accordingly. It's worth finding out if there is a similar thing at secondary school level.

coppertop Tue 01-Mar-05 13:38:11

I don't know if this will work but try this here for information/advice about Education and AS/ASD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now