Talk

Advanced search

Feedback from Montessori

(9 Posts)
justtheone Tue 01-Mar-05 09:21:08

My DS started Montessori in September when he was 3yr 3 mths. To date I have had very little feedback from the school and I would like to know how he is getting on, apart from the fact that he has settled and enjoys it. What sort of questions should I be asking? He starts Reception in September and I would like to be sure that he will be ready for "big school".

MrsBigD Tue 01-Mar-05 09:29:12

maybe you could ask them whether he's making progress in painting/counting etc. or whatever they practice with them. Or whether they have any concerns about his development?

DD goes to a state nursery and I know that on a semi regular basis the teacher sits down with the kids one by one and asks them e.g. to draw something. She then makes notes as to how the hold the pen, what they draw, what it looks like to her and what they say it is (the latter mostly not being the same )

Maybe ask your teacher whether they do assessments like that and whether you could have a report?

LIZS Tue 01-Mar-05 09:38:08

You could have a look at the early years goals of the National Curriculum Foundation Stage (which follows through into Reception) details of which can be downloadedhere . It includes things like being able to recognise their own name. However you would probably be better off focussing on practical issues such as how independent is he, can he manage his coat/shoes/toileting easily, does he enjoy drawing/colouring/playdoh, will he sit and listen to a story and interact afterwards, how is he socially, will he join in without being asked or does he prefer to play alone or wait to be invited, does he exhibit and particular interests or talents, any potential issues that you could address sooner rather than later. imho you should already know the answers to these sorts of question and simply have your opinion affirmed. If you get surprises then the nursery aren't doing a good job of comunicating.

DecafArabica Tue 01-Mar-05 19:34:52

You really should be getting better feedback. My DS goes to a Montessori childminder for less than 4 hours 3 days a week and despite the fact she looks after 5 children, each child gets a written daily report explaining what they have done, how much they've eaten and how they have behaved!

Chandra Tue 01-Mar-05 19:45:10

Oh Decaf!, where did you find such a marvel? I dream I could have access to a montessori school for DS but the nearest one is 1 hr away, so no montessori culture around forget about a montessori child minder.

I second Lizs' opinion, check what are the milestones and ask the school about them. I would not expect them to send a daily report (though that would be great) but they should be aproachable and answer your questions. Do they have parents evenings?

justtheone Tue 01-Mar-05 23:11:48

Thanks for the replies. The head is very approachable and will let you know at the start of the day if there are any concerns and answer any questions but as there are a number of parents dropping off children, it is a very fleeting chat. They continuously monitor the children and keep copious notes on what they are doing but we get no formal report. I believe that there will be a parent's meeting next term.

In the meantime, I have made an appointment to have a more relaxed discussion with the head.

DecafArabica Tue 01-Mar-05 23:53:15

I was very lucky to find her. She used to work in a Montessori nursery, but switched to childminding so she could have more freedom. She will be opening her own nursery later this year...if you can get to London N16?
Justtheone, I would find it really frustrating not to get access to those 'copious notes'! If I didn't know what DS did at childminder's I wouldn't understand a lot of what he was trying to tell me after a session--at his age (4 in April) he still assumes that if he did it, I automatically know about it.

Chandra Wed 02-Mar-05 11:30:21

I wish Decaf, but I'm about 3 hrs away from that post code . I

DecafArabica Wed 02-Mar-05 14:16:20

We are only 10 mins walk away and we still manage to be late every single day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now