Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

support group for anyone going through 11+???

(21 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Sun 28-Sep-08 16:50:52

come talk here!

Quattrocento Sun 28-Sep-08 16:56:43

I've stuck DD down for the 11+ just to see how she fares. It's a state grammar with pretty good results. I'm not sure if she'll go there if she gets in (a variety of factors).

We've done no tutoring at all but have just done a couple of practice papers. The results were slightly, well surprising. I have to say I did think DD would fly through them (not just outrageous arrogance, her current school has consistently told us how very bright she is) but erm, she didn't ...

Am now secretly worried about what to tell her if she fails this wretched exam.

lilolilmanchester Sun 28-Sep-08 18:15:47

hey quattro. My DS is several years into grammar, objectively speaking he is very bright, but would never have passed if he hadn't practised tho he didn't have a tutor . DD is just about to sit 11+; she is a borderline case and I wish we lived in a non-selective area for her -tho happy with selective for DS

WideWebWitch Mon 29-Sep-08 20:39:20

Oh hello, my ds takes this this week and is worrying, as am I. We have done tutoring and practice papers.

GobbledigookisThrifty Mon 29-Sep-08 20:40:21

Oh lilo <hugs!>

GobbledigookisThrifty Mon 29-Sep-08 20:41:30

<hijack> lilo - you coming to meeting on Thurs <read that as - are you coming for a drink after!>

roisin Mon 29-Sep-08 20:52:47

Good luck to everybody! I hope they do themselves justice.

How many exams do they have to do?

And just think how relaxed you will all feel once they're over and the pressure's off grin

lilolilmanchester Tue 30-Sep-08 16:28:44

good luck to all your DCs too. Awful time. Roisin, our have 3 papers but in one morning poor things.

<<<my thread so don't need feel to apologise for further hijack!>>GDG had forgotten about the meeting, was thinking it was the following week (it's a bit manic at the mo so a bit out of control!) Yes probably. Assume drinks are at the usual place, end of NR? (just incase I don't make the meeting but am free later?!!) Ask our mutual friend for my mobile no and text me so I have yours and I'll let you know.

GobbledigookisThrifty Tue 30-Sep-08 21:36:27

Will do!

Yes drinks at B

lilolilmanchester Tue 30-Sep-08 21:51:57

ok, have checked and there is an open evening on Thurs 5-8 but don't intend to spend the whole time there so hope to be back in time for meeting and if not def the drinks.

GobbledigookisThrifty Tue 30-Sep-08 22:35:04

Ok good! I will be at meeting late anyway as dh is out.

Icanseethesea Tue 30-Sep-08 22:45:38

Quatro - ditto here - dd2 should be sailing through the practice papers imo, but she just won't read the questions properly! Was trying to do all this the sensible way, no parental pressure, if you pass you pass, if you don't it really doesn't matter, etc. I still believe that, but at the same time I think she could do better than she is, iyswim..

lilolilmanchester Tue 30-Sep-08 22:54:53

oops, sorry for the diversion with GDG. Back to the purpose of this thread!! Quattro, they really do need to practise.DS passed with almost full marks when he did it, but first practice papers he was getting around 50%. It's familiarity and understanding the questions as much as anything. Keep going if there's still the time.
Icanseethesea, I find it REALLY frustrating when DD gets things wrong that she can do, and does get right second time. If she really couldn't do the tests and therefore grammar wasn't right for her, I'd be pretty relaxed (apart from not so good high school we're zoned for). It's when they throw marks away on silly mistakes which is infuriating, I know lots of parents feelign the same at the moment.

Quattrocento Tue 30-Sep-08 23:02:49

I'll try harder. Bribery, that's the thing ...

controlfreakinfreaky Tue 30-Sep-08 23:06:46

when is the exam quattro?

they really do need to practice... a lot.

what books etc. do you have?

look at www.elevenplusexams.co.uk (but be warned, they are a little em, <obsessed> on there.... to put it mildly....

controlfreakinfreaky Tue 30-Sep-08 23:07:14

meant to say yes, bribery v effective ime.

3littlefrogs Tue 30-Sep-08 23:12:32

Every school in my area has its own exam. All different. The grammar school makes them do 4 papers in one day. The others stagger it over 2 days.

One has all multiple choice, one has a mixture of multiple choice and traditional, another has all traditional - I am confused, never mind the poor child. It is very stressful - and I have been through it twice before.

This year we will be competing against lots of children who in previous years would have gone to private schools.

Dotsie Tue 30-Sep-08 23:24:53

hi, can i join you?
My dd is sitting the pre-test (like a mock) on saturday. they have to do a maths paper and a verbal reasoning paper, both multi-choice. Competition round here (west yorks) is very tough. Usually over 1000 applicants for 310 places in 2 grammar schools. I've no idea whether dd will pass or fail tbh. She sits the actual exam in december. Am so looking forward to this term being over!

lilolilmanchester Wed 01-Oct-08 10:11:37

welcome Dotsie. Am also looking forward to this term being over, tho if DD fails 11+ then it will be March before we know for sure which school she will go to.

GobbledigookisThrifty Wed 01-Oct-08 14:50:54

lilo when is the S one?

lilolilmanchester Wed 01-Oct-08 17:05:07

This Saturday. DD's birthday sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now