Talk

Advanced search

job in private school - do you get reduced fees?

(12 Posts)
sievehead Thu 25-Sep-08 12:02:56

Hey, someone must be able to help me on this one. I am seriously thinking about applying for a job at my local (very nice) private school, because the hours etc suit me and it has been advertised for a few weeks now.

Do you think you get reduced rates as a member of staff if you decide you want to send your kids there? This would be a serious incentive to go for the job!!

Anybody?

Beetroot Thu 25-Sep-08 12:05:38

usually - but ask!

sievehead Thu 25-Sep-08 12:21:44

seems a bit cheeky/presumptious to ask before applying!

nailpolish Thu 25-Sep-08 12:22:26

my friend is a teacher at a private school and he gets 50% off fees

Beetroot Thu 25-Sep-08 12:24:01

Call up and don't give your name

They will tell you at interview

At my kids school it is 70%

smugmumofboys Thu 25-Sep-08 12:25:28

We would/will get 50% off at DH's school. I sent off for a job info pack at Manchester Grammar School and iirc, there's almost a 100% fee remission for teacher-parents. So if you just send off for the blurb, it may say. Defo worth finding out.

ecoworrier Thu 25-Sep-08 12:26:11

My in-laws (both teachers) got jobs at the same private school and their 2 children were given free places. I suspect it varies enormously though, so you must ask - phoning and using another name is a good idea.

sievehead Thu 25-Sep-08 12:28:45

Not applying for teacher job though, just administration role, would that make a difference? Thanks you knowledgeable lot!

MrsBates Thu 25-Sep-08 12:32:15

Teachers definitely do. I was a private school and a friend's auntie was a dinner lady and she got a bit off too plus we got extra scoops of ice cream - which is why she chose that school to work in. But that was about 600 years ago.

snorkle Thu 25-Sep-08 13:35:30

Some schools don't offer any discount even for teachers - Think GDST schools might be among them.

motheroftwoboys Thu 25-Sep-08 13:37:45

There is a discussion about this just a little way down.

Yingers74 Thu 25-Sep-08 15:04:06

It does really depend, at my dh's he gets about two thirds off but at another school he was told he would get nothing off the fees so make sure you ask!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now