Talk

Advanced search

What do these stats mean? Help please!

(13 Posts)
emy72 Sun 21-Sep-08 20:45:50

hi,
we've been looking at secondary comprehensives in the area for our children and the best one has the following stats:
85% A*-C incl english and maths
20% A* and As at GCSEs

It also has an outstanding ofsted...

Could I have opinions please, ie what would you think of those stats?

Thanks in advance!

SqueakyPop Sun 21-Sep-08 21:01:25

These stats are good for a comprehensive.

Trafficcone Sun 21-Sep-08 21:05:43

The A-C is good but I'd want a higher A* and A rating tbh.
But if it's really rated Ofsted 'Outstanding' that is a really big thing and not many schools get it, so I'd go with it.

ByTheSea Sun 21-Sep-08 21:07:50

I wish our local comprehensive's numbers were that good.

roisin Mon 22-Sep-08 01:25:40

That national average is 46.7% 5A*-C incl Maths/English.

85% is very unusual for a non-selective school.

emy72 Mon 22-Sep-08 08:51:37

hi girls
thanks! The school has a fab reputation, it's just that 20% A*s and As didn't seem that great but then I have no experience of what it's like in other schools.
I appreciate your comments, it's such a big responsibility choosing isn't it - whether they get in or not is an entirely different matter but at least it's out of our hands then ;o)

Madsometimes Mon 22-Sep-08 09:23:38

This school seems fab. Why would you expect more than 20%A/A*? The school is non selective. You cannot compare the results of grammars or independents with a comprehensive. If you live in the catchment area, then you are very lucky. I suspect the catchment area for a school like this is very small!

Madsometimes Mon 22-Sep-08 09:38:01

Our LEA ranked among the bottom in the country and 34% of children gain 5 A*-C. My first choice school gets 58% A*-C and is Ofsted outstanding and one of the best schools around here.

emy72 Mon 22-Sep-08 18:41:33

thanks! Madsometimes, what you say about 20% makes sense - it just doesn't look that good but when you think about it it's just reflecting the normal population iyswim. Food for thought! The school is Garforth Community College, it's in East Leeds, I am not sure if you're anywhere near but if you are then might be worth checking out! thanks for all your comments, I feel a bit more reassured now! x

cory Tue 23-Sep-08 08:32:46

No point in having A's and A*'s if they're something that can be achieved by the majority of the population iyswim.

Madsometimes Wed 24-Sep-08 11:21:28

I'm in SE London. I think we are out of the catchment area!

Loshad Wed 24-Sep-08 11:28:03

Garforth is the best school in leeds, if you're in catchment then smile happily at the rest of us poor ** whop aren't. Nearly all (all?)kids will be happy and do fine there

emy72 Fri 26-Sep-08 08:51:51

thanks Loshad...well I live close and I'm not in the catchment area but would automatically get in if my child goes to primary school in one of the feeders schools (one of the new rules staring sep 08). Hence my question! Seen as you're local then, do you think Garforth is as good as the Grammar School at Leeds (well obviously taking into account spending school fees etc) - I hope you don't mind me asking! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now