Talk

Advanced search

LEST ALL SHARE WHAT OPTIONS WE HAVE AS PARENTS OF KIDS GOING TO SECONDARY SCHOOL THIS YEAR OR NEXT

(45 Posts)
MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Sat 20-Sep-08 10:52:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cornsilk Sat 20-Sep-08 11:01:19

decided against state grammar
local comp good but big
private lovely and small ideal for ds but £££

Soapbox Sat 20-Sep-08 11:07:53

State girls grammar school - fab results but around 100 applicants for each place. Not sure DD will get in.

Three good private schools with very good results.

Leave her in her current private school which has a senior school attached. Guaranteed a place and would get a sports scholarship probably, which knocks 50% off the fees! Results good but not stunning, especially for the girls (used to be a boys school, and boys definitely dominate in the better results).

JudgeNutmeg Sat 20-Sep-08 11:23:57

Soapbox, in the last three years, talented local children have received all the scholarships at our senior school. There were a lot of pursed lips from the parents of children who were best in the junior school at the scholarship subjects but thems the breaks.

My youngest will be doing entrance next year and is easily the best academically in the junior school at the moment. However, I'm not counting on a scholarship as you just don't know what other clever and motivated children are out there. I do dream of a 40% discount, especially as I have two at school, but I keep it to myself.

There one little boy in my ds's class who has been told by his Dad that he will only be staying if he gets a scholarship and that he will be sitting three lots of entrance to 'secure the best deal'. Somethings are best kept to adults to consider really.

My kids would be fine in the local comp. It's huge and has approx. 33% at A-C GCSE which I think is the national average. I went to a very similar huge school and have done absolutely fine in life so far. I would just prefer to keep the brothers together at their current, lovely school if at all possible as the teachers there have done such a lovely job so far.

IllegallyBrunette Sat 20-Sep-08 11:31:07

We are lucky enough to live in a good area for schools.

3 local secondary schools, one with excellant results, and the other two not too far behind.

Local girls grammer

I have discounted the girls grammer as Dd didn't want to go, and I didn't think it would suit her either.

Have opted for the excellant secondary, with the other 2 as 2nd and 3rd choices.

Quite hopeful that dd will get is as we appear to be well in the catchment area.

roisin Sat 20-Sep-08 13:40:04

ds2 is in yr5. We have options in our town:
RC school (not an option)
State School 1 39% (A*-C incl Maths/English) Ofsted just passed [satisfactory]
State School 2 36% Ofsted just got out of special measures
State School 3 12% shock in special measures
State School 4 30% Ofsted just scraped 'satisfactory'

Schools 1-3 are being closed imminently supposedly Sep 2009 and a big new academy built. The organisation of this seems very flakey and plans are already way behind schedule for the closing/merging of the schools.

Fortunately ds1 got a place at the school in the next town 60%, excellent Ofsted, so ds2 is pretty much guaranteed a place. Phew!

undercovercat Sat 20-Sep-08 13:59:52

Im not entirely sure I even have options.

DD1 had just arsed the 11 plus, so the 3 grammar schools are out the window.

Leaving us in the catchment area for nowhere and in a bit of a shit really.

SqueakyPop Sat 20-Sep-08 19:21:47

My DD, who is currently in Y5, will go to the independent girls' school that I teach in. She will get a bursary by being a staff child, and I expect her to get an academic scholarship also.

Our state school provision is rubbish, so we won't even apply or contemplate long commutes to something half-decent.

swedishmum Sun 21-Sep-08 01:23:46

Grammar schools here, but not too highly selective. Dds1 and 2 go to girls' grammar, and ds (moderately/severely dyslexic) has just started at boys' grammar. Apparently has a good track record with bright boys with SpLD. Ds must have a statemented dyslexic child in his class as English teacher has some dyslexia training and class have a TA - ds will benefit but it's certainly not aimed at him.

High schools less successful academically - all (within 10 miles) are on the govt hit list for below 20% A - Cs. We would have sent ds to private school if he hadn't passed his 11 plus because he would have received no support whatsoever at any other school as he's doing "too well" to be offered support.

It's an unfair system, I know.

asdmumandteacher Sun 21-Sep-08 11:03:06

son in year 5 has option of 2 grammar schools (don't think he will pass) - hubby and i teach in girls grammar - is vg school

3 comps which are awful...just had a letter inviting us to one of their open days - proudly stating its best ever GCSE results at 35% 5 A*-C (inc English and Maths)...errr NOOO WAY!!!!

Local independent schools are our only option-desp trying to save, will remortgage too-may ask for him to go back into year 6 (August born) Am finding severe shortage of boys independent not too selective secondary schools - loads and loads of girls ones thosad

SqueakyPop Sun 21-Sep-08 11:04:55

We have that problem in our area too - loads and loads of girls' schools, but hardly any that boys can go to. And the state schools are awful.

asdmumandteacher Sun 21-Sep-08 11:08:27

No one wants to teach boys unless they are grammar materialsad sad Have found bias towards girls throughout sons primary ed and also through the national curriculum and GCSE too sad

SqueakyPop Sun 21-Sep-08 11:14:55

It's understandable

I teach in an all-girls' school and it is so nice not to have boys. I think they appreciate it too, even if they whinge occasionally.

We do have a boys' boarding school nearby, so have opportunity for socials.

uptomyeyes Sun 21-Sep-08 11:17:30

Options are:

Medium sized local boys comp. Gets about 55% A-C gcse, has excellent 6th form that gets most A level kids to uni including some to oxbridge. Very close by and lots of DS1's friends will move there. Good pastoral care, improving school, just been completely rebuilt, Very good ofsted though it had an appalling reputation up until about 2000

Large, highly successful academy about 80% A-C grades, entrance test with very opaque admission criteria. Very pushy, DS1 might get in but I don't hink it is the right place for him. Excellent ofsted.

Huge extremely traditional boys independent school. £5k per term. With another wo sons coming up through the ranks I don't think this is an option £45k per annum school fees - eyewatering!

For DS1, who has lots of health problems I'm keen to just put the local comp on the form and keep him close, happy and stress free.

asdmumandteacher Sun 21-Sep-08 11:17:37

It does really piss me off tho that the ed system is biased towards girls - i know it used to be the other way around before the Plowden report etc but the swing has gone IMO too far over now

uptomyeyes Sun 21-Sep-08 11:22:21

With three sons - that is a worry sad

Christie Sun 21-Sep-08 11:38:02

glitterball Sun 21-Sep-08 12:20:49

ds options largely revolve around whether or not he passes the 11plus. he tells me he did well but he likes to please so i think he would say that even if it was horrendous.....

if he does pass, there is the choice of an excellent mixed sex grammar, or 2 other boys grammars. both very good, and provided he passes we live close enough to all for him to get a place.

if he doesnt pass, options are pretty limited. theres a reasonable boys comp, which he should get into (we are on the edge of the catchment area though which is a worry), and then a selection of v poor mixed comps - results all around the 30% level, poor discipline, full of kids from out of the area (as most local kids who dont get into the grammar get sent to private schools)

i wouldnt send him to private school for personal reasons, so if he fails the 11plus and for some reason doesnt get into the boys school, our only option would be to move. which is something im considering already for different reasons.

the worst thing is thinking of going through this all again in 3 years with ds2 hmm

unknownrebelbang Sun 21-Sep-08 13:18:37

DS3, yr 6, following his brothers - hopefully - to the CofE secondary, good ofsted, good results (locally), caring ethos, and more importantly both DS1 and DS2 seem happy there (although DS2 has only started this term so early days).

Other options:

RC selective - chose against this school when we were deciding where to send DS1 as DS2 would struggle there, amongst other reasons.

Catchment secondary - good school, recently rebuilt, wonderful headteacher. Good enough for the primary school Head to send his children there. Both me and DH went there, but we wouldn't send our children there because of DH's work.

RC secondary - good results, but not what we wanted for our children.

Two other local secondaries - I would HE before I sent my children there.

Two private schools - not an option as we chose other priorities. We did consider one of them when DS1 was little, but decided against it.

WideWebWitch Sun 21-Sep-08 13:33:34

Our choices are:

1) pass 11+, great school (my preferred option)

fail 11+, school in special measures (I'd really rather not) OR

we pay, good private but I have to work til I drop for ever more and was hoping to slow down next year (would also really rather not)

FluffyMummy123 Sun 21-Sep-08 13:34:02

Message withdrawn

roisin Sun 21-Sep-08 14:35:39

Gosh I am a bit shocked by some of the comments on here about teaching boys shock

I love teaching boys and find them generally more straight forward than the girls. I work in an area with high levels of deprivation and we have a large number of children coming from challenging backgrounds.

We've done a lot of work on improving boys' achievement, and boy-friendly techniques at school.

bubblerock Sun 21-Sep-08 14:53:11

We're going to open evenings next week for DS1 - have never been through this before so it is pretty scary! I thought we had loads of time and didn't realise we had to choose so soon! We are not from the area so don't have any real knowledge of the schools/reputations etc..

We don't have Grammar schools here, there is an amazing independent school but there is no way we could afford it.

The high schools all seem pretty average so we're just going to take a look at them all and see which ones DS likes best. They have had visits all week from the schools giving them the hard sell - DS came home and said he really wanted to go to one particular school and when asked why he said they serve bacon sandwiches at the breakfast club. hmm

DS is very academic (unlike me) and would suit a grammar/independent school, but It's not an option.

Quattrocento Sun 21-Sep-08 15:04:58

Four options as follows (in order of preference):

1) Independent selective girl's school. GCSE results 75% A* and A. DD is currently attending the junior school and would like to go up to the seniors with her friends. Lots of good extra-curricular stuff. The downside is that it costs £££ and there are no scholarships available that are not means tested.

2) State grammar school. GCSE results 66% A* and A grades. The downside is that the extracurricular stuff is not great. Also we live 5 miles away and are out of catchment so DD would have to be in the top 75 of over 1000 pupils applying, which she will do quite easily.

3) Independent non-selective mixed school. GCSE results 38% A* and A. Primarily designed for the "nice but dim". The downsides are that it is not academic and it costs £££.

4) Local comp. Does not publish the quantity of A* and A grades that it achieves but found out that it is less than 10%. Ofsted report surprisingly classifies it as satisfactory (seems beyond dire to me). Has a significant number of children with ASBOs.

Am seriously tempted by the thought of state grammar. Really seriously tempted. Credit crunch and all that ...

Christie Sun 21-Sep-08 15:18:23

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now