Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cursive writing

(14 Posts)
yoyo Fri 25-Feb-05 21:02:58

Can anyone recommend any books/workbooks for DD2 aged 6 to practise cursive writing? Her school doesn't introduce it until YR2 but she is very keen. DD1 was taught it from reception so we didn't really have to do any work with her. I'm sure there must be an order in which the letters (and joins) are taught.
Thanks.

Carla Fri 25-Feb-05 22:18:53

I'll be watching this with interest as dd2 is learning this and I can't help her - when I write I just make up my own joins.

yoyo Mon 28-Feb-05 12:13:01

Anyone?

Cod Mon 28-Feb-05 12:15:46

Message withdrawn

emmatmg Mon 28-Feb-05 12:15:59

can't help with info but think you're lucky that it starts in Y2 and my Ds1 (and now Ds2) started it from nursery and it was (and is)a bloody nightmare!

Kinders Mon 28-Feb-05 12:29:05

Hi I think Jolly Phonics introduces cursive writing. They do a series of workbooks suitable for ages 4+. You can purchase them on-line at amazon.

LIZS Mon 28-Feb-05 12:37:13

Think the Nelson Handwriting scheme starts with precursive and progresses on - friend copied some basic worksheets for us but ds has never got around to them

yoyo Mon 28-Feb-05 13:01:52

Thanks for those - will visit bookshop today and see if there are any Jolly Phonics or examples of Nelson.

Cod - did you remember the name of his scheme?

Emmatmg - DD1 learnt from nursery and has the most beautiful handwriting. I wish DD2 had done it that way. Unfortunately we are not in the area anymore so I can't cadge any worksheets from the school (DD1 never brought anything home with her). I do remember it being difficult initially but definitely worth it in the end.

Cod Mon 28-Feb-05 13:14:13

Message withdrawn

emmatmg Mon 28-Feb-05 13:47:47

I agree yoyo, ds1 is in yr1 now so it has paid off, he certainly has much better handwriting than I did at the same age, he loves new things and learning so that made it easier.
DS2 on the other hand would much rather kick a ball about that sit down with a pen and paper.

Demented Mon 28-Feb-05 14:00:17

I think this must be what DS1 is doing. I wrote something for him to copy last night and got a ticking off about not putting tails on all my letters.

DS1's school does Jolly Phonics.

Allegra Mon 28-Feb-05 16:37:52

Has anyone come across children in reception being told to form x like 2 back to back brackets? A bit like this )(.
Is this to aid cursive writing? To me it just looks sloppy but I dont want to mention it to the teacher till I know whether it's standard practice or not.

Merlot Mon 28-Feb-05 16:39:45

Allegra that was the way I was taugh to do a cursive `x' but that was 35 years ago! - dont know if it still applies today though

yoyo Mon 28-Feb-05 16:45:27

Wouldn't it be so much easier if there was a single approach to teching children cursive writing? I was taught in a very traditional way but remember being surprised at secondary school that some children had a squashed, rounded style which was almost like printing but joined. DD2 (9) tells me that they will be allowed to "experiment" with their handwriting in YR 6...can't wait for that then!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now