Talk

Advanced search

How do I get my bright niece to read to me?

(7 Posts)
Ceehoss Wed 17-Sep-08 17:18:09

She knows her words but insists on not reading them!Arrrgh! Have tried many different ways but none seem to work. Can anyone help me please?

cornsilk Wed 17-Sep-08 17:18:37

play a game with them

takingitasitcomes Wed 17-Sep-08 17:20:30

How old is she? How often do you see her?

grouchyoscar Wed 17-Sep-08 17:23:20

Give her time, she'll do it when she's ready. Don't stress, if there are good foundations laid down then it does come together

deepinlaundry Wed 17-Sep-08 17:35:30

I have gone through this for a year with my 5 year old- I left it in the end and she finally started last month to read aloud. I don't know what it was- stubborness, fear of making a mistake? don't know. Try not forcing the issue and see.

AMumInScotland Wed 17-Sep-08 19:47:41

Are you the one trying to help her with her homework, or do you just want her to read to you as a separate thing? If she's already done "what she has to" with someone else, she may not be keen on being pushed to do more by another person. I would never have read aloud to anyone at that age if I hadn't been required to as homework.

Hulababy Wed 17-Sep-08 20:04:27

For what reason are you trying to get her to read to you?

If not homework - don't push it,

If homework - just leave her to do itl fill in the gap or encourage her to sound out (even if you know she knows it) - and i her school reading record book note down any difficulties you encounter, such as words not remembered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now