Talk

Advanced search

Copying sums from a sheet- a waste of time and paper?

(7 Posts)
notsoteenagemum Sun 14-Sep-08 22:50:12

DD is 8, she has a maths homework book brought home on Fridays, the homework is an A4 sheet stuck into the book which they then copy onto the next blank page in the book.
I feel this is a waste of time why bother with the sheet wasting tw pieces of paper or why copy it wasting time they could be learning in?

Overmydeadbody Sun 14-Sep-08 22:51:24

it does sound like a pointless waste of time tbh

SmugColditz Sun 14-Sep-08 22:51:27

Maybe it's to disguise the fact from Ofsted Inspectors that their homework is sheet work?

notsoteenagemum Sun 14-Sep-08 22:55:05

The sheet is there in the book next to the hand-written copy. I've had homework problems with the school last year and if it goes on may complain but DD's teacher is her friends mum so feel a bit funny about t.

notsoteenagemum Sun 14-Sep-08 22:58:06

Have to go to bed now (DH complaining angry) If theres any teachers could you explain the reson for this? Thanks.

scaryteacher Mon 15-Sep-08 06:45:51

Are they copying the sums and then doing them? In which case, they may not have enough text books to send home, and she'll need more space than the sheet provides to show her workings out.

SuperBunny Mon 15-Sep-08 06:51:29

Maybe there isn't enough space on the sheet to do the working out, so she has to copy the sum then work it out the way she is practicing which often takes up a lot of space.

Not a great way of teaching anything though. (I speak as a teacher)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now